JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

User Competition: Let's Celebrate Canada Day a Little Lighter

Anna

This thread is for discussion about the user competition: Let's Celebrate Canada Day a Little Lighter - which runs from 01/01/2018 through 06/30/2018.

Anna Replied:

Merry Christmas Everyone! If you are keen, I would love to start a competition that will get us to my favorite day of the year - Canada Day! I have been on and off SYD for years but I always come back. This time --- since the 16th of December and have been successful in cutting my carbs to a low minimum. I realized that having toast and pb and cereal is not a good breakfast when my sugar went to 25. I miss all of the conversations that we had on here a few years ago. A lot of folks that are still on here got to goal by sharing our experiences in almost real time. Someone else mentioned that it was quiet here... its true! I suggest that we all bring SYD back to its former glory! Anyone who lost more than 10 lbs...shout out a hello... how are you and lets start chatting again. And the rest, join in! Let's get creative with our tag lines. Entice me to see what you have to say today --- tell me about what makes you come on here and share or see what is going on with you. Like we are sitting at the table having a cup of good tea. This is the best tracking site around. Its not filled with bells and whistles. Just us. Its been 5 days... no sugar, no flour, no pasta, no bread, no potatoes. I feel that I might finally AFTER years of trying to be in the zone --- in the zone again. Does anybody want to join me?

Lyn Replied:

I want to join you! I would love to see more people posting and more conversations going, bring it on! I have no idea what Canada Day is but I will join you in your quest to be lighter by then! LOL

Anna Replied:

Awesome Lyn,

Canada Day is on July 1st and its our nations birthday --- like your July 4th so for the US citizens... lets make it July4th and we will celebrate your birthday as well. And any other country's B Day if that is what will work for you. For me and us Canadians --- July 1!

Lets start to plan how we are going to get there. I am going to pretend that this is our first week on SYD. All fresh and brand new. I think that we need to start to find new energy from inside ourselves. Repackage our thoughts, our goals, our strengths and our weaknesses. So who is with me? I am sure we will be getting a few new people over the next couple of weeks because its a time for renewed efforts so lets show them that we have what it takes to shake things up and make things happen --- thought provoking, weight loss ideas, maintenance efforts and renewed enthusiasm to get us there --- wherever our get there is!

Lyn Replied:

Yeah, I should have known that, Canada day, duh! I love it, let's get ourselves in a better place by then! I am not following any specific plan other than eating good whole foods, I try and eat as close to the earth as possible. Obviously, that isn't always do-able, but it is an easy and natural way for me to eat. I do find that I do better when doing IF and usually that is pretty easy for me as well, I do best with an eating window between 10am and 6pm, but of course, sometimes that just isn't possible either. I hope others will join us!

Anna Replied:

I do too! I have been on and off SYD for years and I am afraid I come on strong and people see me fall off the mountain like a skier out of control. A few of you may be shy to join in but this time... no pressure on either side. Just keeping the conversation and the weight going in the right direction. Tomorrow will be day 6 of basically following Paleo and its working for me because I cannot substitute one white food for another --- which is usually what I do. I am having a little bit of dairy and a tiny bit of pasta, rice or potato in a soup or chowder but that's its. The scale is already moving so I am happy. I figure people will start checking in this week. I would have joined someone else but nothing new was coming up for the new year --- hence I decided to start it myself.

I am doing the same Lyn. I have a ritual of having a large cup of frozen blended fruit with a very small yogurt in the evening. I put a lot of ice cubes and water and a little bit of stevia and that is my daily treat. Once that is done --- I am done until at least 7am the next morning. Its working!

Lyn Replied:

Enthusiasm is infectious so bring it on! We all go through the ups and downs, times where we are on fire and then times when we seem to drop off the face of the earth, it happens to everyone. But we keep coming back and we are better for it. Your daily treat sounds delish!

Anna Replied:

It is! Frozen fruit, a small amount of yogurt, ice and water. I am trying to mind my milk so water it is. I feel that its two treat in one. Good for me berries and ice cream of sorts without the cream. I can't have it til around nine pm ish. But I also cannot eat after supper til them. I am playing mind games but I am practicing being hungry. Its really hard. I am by far not starving but it really is hard to stay away from quick carbs. No one else has joined us yet! Come on fellow SYDers's. We created a lot of momentum several years ago. Remember the Biggest Loser Game? We had a blast! I promise to stay engaged. Let's have some fun! Anybody can join!

Lyn Replied:

I think I will try that Anna. I could add a little almond milk if I wanted it creamier but I think I'll try the water first.

Lyn Replied:

I made it using frozen strawberries and coconut water...yum!

Anna Replied:

oh. sounds nice! And a treat, right? Something to look forward to

Anna Replied:

Anna Replied:

Nutmeg Replied:

Anna,
I love the Canada Day idea, because it's not only a holiday for you it's a great half way point in the year! It very nice of you to be so accomodating to Americans (I am one), but I think you should just stick with your original date. I haven't really chatted with too many people on here lately but part of what I liked about it when I did was that there were people from South Africa, Australia, the U.K., Malta. Probably lots of other places too, those are just some that I remember. I love meeting people from other places and learning about different traditions and cultures around the world. In fact, I like the idea of Canada Day so much at I plan to celebrate in Newfoundland. How's that for enthusiasm! If only weight loss and maintenance were as easy as making travel plans.

Anna Replied:

That's awesome! Well Newfoundland is very close to where I am from! I am from Cape Breton and we and Newfoundlander's have very similar customs (lol, we say that they are even nicer than we are, lol). That will be three off us If you join in the competition. Will you be in Canada on July 1? It really is an amazing country! Yes, remember, a few years ago, we had people from everywhere!

Its my goal to pick up a few of those folks again. I think they are still on here! Come out, come out, wherever you are? Its hard to do our best when we are counter-balancing all that is in us saying "one won't hurt you", or start tomorrow, its just a day later... or have that, it won't kill you..."

I was in the zone and fell of it for a few days because I knew that I was at the cusp of the 1st day of the year. Its 11;45 on Jan 1 and I have not eaten yet. I think that today is the day that I get back in the zone. Why the heck not....No better day than the 1st day... Let's do this together.\

Lyn Replied:

Woo hoo, let's go!

Anna Replied:

Yippeeee! We have 6 people! I am inspired.... 1/2 dozen eggs... a decent band, a bunch of bananas! We can work with 6! A dozen would work so people come on! Who is in for the Canada Day celebration of your life! You don't need to be from Canada... you just need to want to have a party to celebrate all of those good decisions we made along the way - from Jan 1 to July 1. We got this. I think we should start solid and start to share a little bit about ourselves in order to become a strong team. We are a collective of people sharing with the universe all the good things we know about the journey of eating and feeling better and in the end... getting us all to a better weight and a better place. Deal? So let's start... in a new thread, a bit about ourselves, how long we've been on syd and if you can, your goal for the next six months...:

Sandy Replied:

I missed this when it started but I'm joining in. Is seven a lucky number for you?

Nutmeg Replied:

7 is a great number! The more the merrier. Anna started another thread to introduce ourselves you can check out and add some info about yourself.

Sandy Replied:

Where is it? Thanks for the welcome.

Nutmeg Replied:

If you look farther down on the mega board postings there's one that says "our Canada Day team members" and it has a snowflake symbol.

Anna Replied:

Hi Everyone! I am back from the land of the missing! Yes, anyone can join any time and since its just getting started week it takes some of us another start to get off the ground. I have had an interesting week and I am going to share because I think in the temperate of being honest - it is the best thing to do.

I have two major flaws. One is procrastination and the other is carb addiction. Both won't take me out but if you put them together ... well there could be a problem.

I can do so well and I can do so poorly. Does anyone else have this problem? My friend who is coming along with me on this journey could not start until tomorrow and I think it throew me for a loop. AND I do not know how to stay in the Canada group and start a new thread. Can anyone help me with this?

I struggled all week! I was in the zone for 2 weeks mid December and between xmas and new year's I started to struggle. My words were still acting like I was in the zone but my body and physical behavior was starting to slip. It is quite a phenomenon that keeps us on and off the wagon. lol, if we could bottle the formula to say on track, wouldn't we be rich!

So I am here, I am back and I will do my best to do my best. July 1 is a long way away and a few days will not make or break the scale. Here is to a Hapier New Year. I was away from anyone who knows me and my family for the entre holiday season and completely alone for both christmas and new year's day. It got the best of me. I am ok now though. An excuse to fall is a good excuse but it is still an excuse

So, for the sake of a life lesson, can one of the members who knows how to keep us under our own grup competition post a little note for me asking "us" what trigger's a wagon tumble, lollllol, as in :fall off the diet wagon" for them and what are they doing and/or trying to do to get back intot he zone. And please tell me how to start a new thread in our onw section! Thanks everyone, Anna

Anna Replied:

Hi Sandy!

Are you the Sandy that was in our group about 5 years ago or so? I remember a Sandy! Welcome to our group! I fell off before I even got started so you and I will start together and maybe it will bring me luck because nuber 7 us my favorite number and tomorrow is te 7th and my B Day is on the 7th of March. It might help to keep me on track. 80 days to my BDAY!! Lets see what I can do with 60 days and let's definitely see what you can do too! Anna

Anna

Anna Replied:

How is everybody doing? I lost a bit over 2lbs so I am happy. Its not dramatic but the loss was one of intent and that is what is important. Let's make it our goal to get to our target next week. Every time we have to decide something good or something bad for us... "not now, maybe later". You and I got this!!! It really doesn't take much to derail us but it doesn't take much to show a loss either. Have a grrreaat green day!

Lyn Replied:

I'm in a holding pattern...not where I want to be!

kc Replied:

Lyn, I am right with you, holding pattern. I need to get this plane down the runway and take off! I have been maintaining too long. It is time we buckle down, lace up our NIKE shoes, and Just Do It.

Nutmeg Replied:

I would love to be in a holding pattern. I'm headed in the wrong direction. I think the problem is wrk stress and my husband taking me out for nice dinners because he knows I'm stressed. I've been exercising a lot but not enough to make up for the way I've been eating.

Anna Replied:

I think that we are all coming off the beginning of the new year hype that we get ourselves worked up about. We are sure that the new year, new day, new minute will create new people with new habits. And for some of us, the first of the week, the month and the year is the start button. But for me... something happened. I started the contest and stopped the diet. I did better in December than I have done in January. I am set to go... I got a booklet, place for weight, date, diet, insulin, meds, time. You name it --- and the only thing missing is me. I waited for Brenda to start for 2 weeks and now she has surpassed me. I am really happy because we are like Gail and Oprah but I am a little embarrassed. Where do I go? Why can't I say no to the cookies when the boss brings them in to the dining room? So all of us... let's recommit. Not to another date but to our selves. Yes, we will be lighter by Canada and we are going to get ourselves in mode and that's it. In the morning we wake up with fresh motivation and stamina to focus, plan, and maintain courage to get the job done as we know we can do. We have 18 people in the group so the 18 of us should try to ask the universe to help us all move in the right direction with the right amount of smarts and willpower to get us to the end of this month with a 5 lb loss or more. If we are on our way... keep going. If are in trouble.... lets go for gold. We are the new Olympians of OUR CANADA DAY TEAM! and we need help and to help. GO TEAM GO!!! I am going for a 5 lbs loss. That is my pledge. If I try and I don't make it that's ok. But I am really going to try!

Lyn Replied:

I needed to hear this tonight Anna. I am in the same place as you are. Let's turn this around!

kc Replied:

Kitchen closed! No midnight snack and morning disappointment on the scale. Success, one minute at a time. Just say no, pint your nails, take bubble bath, or listen to a book on audible.

Lyn Replied:

Sometimes it literally is one minute at a time, isn't it. lol

kc Replied:

KITCHEN IS CLOSED. I repeat. KITCHEN IS CLOSED. there, now i feel better. Night all.

Angela Replied:

Hi all, I used this platform to lose over 50 pounds 5 years ago, unfortunately the weight is creeping back. Plus, I although the success was good, I never reached my ultimate goal. This year my youngest is graduating and my middle child is hinting at a wedding, I'm determined to not embarass them by being the largest in the room! So far this week has seen a loss of 5 lb, so off and running. I didn't use the forums last time as my husband was on the journey so I'm hoping I'll find a few running mates. You all are beautiful!

Lyn Replied:

Glad to see you here Angela! You have great sources of inspiration there, you are going to do great!

Anna Replied:

Hello, It was my turn to hear "The Kitchen is CLOSED". I live in a real hotel with one bedroom in my apt turned into a storage room. I have a commercial kitchen 10ft away that I can nibble out of whenever I choose and if that's not enough I do not even have to go outside to get to a small grocery store. I am pretty good because I don't like processed food too much. The exception to that rule is that I like sugar --- can we spell processed.

I am struggling for a lot of reasons. Too many to bore people with but I don't know why I let all these darn excuses beat me down. When I am in the zone I am happy, ecstatic even!!! Why can't I reasonably go back to the zone when I fall off? I don't understand sugar addition.

I don't understand why I cannot beat this. It is my sad state of affairs.

My grandmother had Alzheimer's at 65. That's only 10 years away. The link I came across today was very interesting. It says type 2 diabetes has a link to dementia. Basically insulin in general is involved. I have uncontrolled diabetes and I am on insulin and I am terrible at keeping and getting it under control. It hasn't been below 10 in three years except for 1/2 dozen times or so.

So reading this --- knowing that---- being 55 years old. I want to remember my grandkids names in 10 years. I glimpse into the future and that should be enough. Of course, perhaps I will be one of the lucky ones... play with fire and not get burnt. But I have worked in a nursing home and I can tell you first hand that what I am looking at isn't pretty. I worked there for only a few months and I seen a woman with her legs so bad --- she could not even stand the weight of a blanket on them. I seen a man who had to wear big yellow googles because his eyes were bad from diabetes. I seen a man with one leg whom I had to take to the washroom. And then I seen the ones that were big and had to be lifted by overhead contraptions because they could not use their own bodies anymore to get around. The dementia and alzheimers patients lived in a world of their own. So so sad when the families came in. I am saying all this because my mind thinks about all of the things I could face if I don't get this weight off and my diabetes under control. So why in the hell do I look the other way and "eat it anyway"? I think this is the real question that the over eater or sugar/carb eater wrestles with....

Maybe tomorrow will be a zone day. MY best friend came in late and is at the top of our contest. Maybe its time for us to pick up the ball and run with it. I should would like to find the zone again. How about you guys? Are you in the zone and what do you do to get back into it?

Lyn Replied:

I am not in the zone Anna and I understand very well all you are saying here. Let's take today, just today and focus on living healthy. Just for today, we will worry about tomorrow when we get there. But we do want to have many tomorrows and we also want them to be spent enjoying life instead of sitting in countless dr offices trying to manage all of our conditions. Remember when you reach for the sugar, tomorrow you will NEVER look back and say...man, I am really glad I ate that. Instead you will feel guilty and sluggish and you will not like what the scale has to say. It's just one day, we can do anything for one day!

This Jim Rohn quote sums it up well. "We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons."

Lin Replied:

Okay Ladies - I have a been lurking since mid-December (again - how many times have i tried to do this) I haven't paid much attention to "Canada Day" - soo sorry, I should have checked sooner. You all are describing me to the T.
I am leaving this board to see if it is too late to join your challenge - Hope not. Usually, I can only maintain short term challenge goals, but I need this badly. As it happens, we have family gathering July 4lth every year - what a head rush if I could be down a significant number on the scales -- before every year I am the heaviest one at the reunion.
I know that I need to commit to come back everyday whether on or off plan at the moment - not showing up admitting I am not following the program does not make it be just the same as "on" program.
I dropped down 5 pounds almost immediately after starting, but have held firm to that 5lb loss for two weeks. Hopefullly, I can get my act together and get going.
Thank you for doing this board - I will try very hard to continue to be a participate.
Lyn - love the quote - how true.
Great I think I am "in" this challenge

Lin Replied:

Are any of you doing Keto? I have always kept my food intake in SYD, but am finding it hard to count my macros here. Could just be me, but nevertheless, I am struggling with it. It does seem that I feel beltter and do better totally staying away from heavy Carb things.

Angela Replied:

congratulations everyone,even an ounce lost gets us a little closer, hey, even not staying the same is sometimes a win!!

flower Replied:

Anna , I have only been on this site for a short time but when I think of the world being without the beautiful person that youe across here as being it saddens me. When I found out a short time ago that Alzheimer`s is now considered Type 3 diabetes ( in most recent trials ) I immediately started looking at sugar as a poison for me and my loved ones because Alzheimer`s disease runs in my family. I am looking at sugar differently now ~~ it is no longer a friend /forter to me ((

Lin Replied:

Well said

Angela Replied:

When I tried a weight loss calculator yesterday, I was amazed at the difference 10 minutes a day of light exercise could make. So I am making a concerted effort to add 10 minutes of something everyday. It's a bit cold for being outside, here in Canada, so yesterday I took my mom and daughter shopping. Who says exercise has to look boring or painful? Today my son and I teach a music class , the setup always takes more than 10 minutes and I usually get hot, lol. Just thinking about what kind of non workout I can do tomorrow to get in my 10 minutes!

Keep it up all, just imagine how gorgeous we'll feel in a few months!

Anna Replied:

I just wrote for about 15 minutes to have it all lost because I tried to put a pdf versus a regular pic. It was a lot about this and that and the other thing and profound in my minds eye! lol

So the short version is I made a plan, I plan to stick to it and I printed of Linda Spangle's journal workbook of her website (I downloaded it years ago). I am following the boiled egg diet. Which I tried to share with you guys, I basically said that for me a very narrow road works. For example the current ww is too broad for me. Works for some I am sure but I might as well not be on a diet. My mind needs simple, defined structure.

Yes, I have heard a lot about diabetes and Alzheimers. I even read recently that Metphormin might be a cause. There is too much buzz for us to ignore it, that's for sure.

Angela, I like your non-exercise exercise!

Flower, thank you for your kind words --- with a username like flower I think you must be pretty awesome yourself!

And Lyn, You are always on! Like a good friend, ready to listen and ready to share. Lets hope we get this. How are you doing these days?

Have a great week everyone and tell me what your specific plan is for this week to get you in the zone or to keep you there?

Cheers, Anna

Lyn Replied:

We ARE going to get this! We are!
I know how it feels to type out a long post or blog only to have it disappear into cyberspace. It has happened more times than I care to remember and it leaves you feeling tired and defeated. BUT, what I have learned from it is that sometimes, just getting the words out there is therapeutic. Even if nobody else sees it, you took the time to process it and work through it and get it all on "paper" and that in itself is a very good thing. Clears away some of that mental clutter. So don't fret, something good still came of it!
Have a great day everyone!!!

Angela Replied:

Got more than my share of exersize this week with over a foot of snow. Looking forward to warmer ways to aplish it. For me calorie counting works best and this site works very well as a calorie journal. I'm down 7 pounds in a little less than 3 weeks. Likely that will slow a little, but I'm DETERMINED not to give up. Keep up the good work everyone!

Anna Replied:

Almost there! First day back on solid track. Sugar numbers are good today. 9pm so almost through the day! Good luck everyone with your efforts. Every minute and every decision counts

Angela Replied:

Well done Anna, stomp that diabetes monster!!

Nutmeg Replied:

I made the most of the snow last weekend and spent a little over a hour snow shoeing. I had been almost a year since I did it last a I forgot how hard it was. It seems like it shouldn't be a whole lot harder than jogging, but I think that the wider stance and having to pick up your knees more makes a difference. I'm leaving for a trip in a couple of days so I won't be weighing myself for a bit a I'll probably be eating too much, but I'm hoping a lot of walking will counteract some of that.

Angela Replied:

Try and make "good" food choices Nutmeg. You don't want to be down on yourself when you get back. Do have fun and try and make that fun low calorie

Angela Replied:

19 weeks to go. At 2 pounds per week that's a potential 38 pounds lost!!! looking forward to it!!

Anna Replied:

I'm checking in I am doing better at logging my sugars, doing better at staying present while I am eating. A couple of mini binges but all in all... better. I like the 2 lb a week goal Angela. You have you eye on the prize!!!

Lets see what tomorrow brings for me! Hope you are all having a good week!

Angela Replied:

Good for you Anna. Weight loss and victory over the diabetes!!

Lin Replied:

Good luck - For me, I can't set goals that I will definitely try to hit -- I am a very slow looser, so when I don't make my goals - I'm over it. I have to just keep on keeping on and see what happens

Angela Replied:

as long as the trend is downward, that's what really matters Lin!

Anna Replied:

That's a fact Lin. I am really struggling but come back every weekend. I keep on trying to try. I was creeping up but came back down a smidgen. My friend Brenda is doing awesome. Lost 6 lbs! Yeah... since my last start...lost .6. Almost a giggle but not quite, lol... I will try harder to catch up. On a happier note, I am managing my sugar better so that is a plus!

Have a great week everyone! Anna

Lyn Replied:

Anna, ANY progress is PROGRESS! Good for you!

Angela Replied:

I'll echo that. 6 lbs is 6 lbs, nothing to sneeze at on this difficult road!!

Nutmeg Replied:

I just returned from a trip to a Greece and I've gained some weight. About 3 lbs. The food was awesome! I think it was worth it because I might not ever get back there again. I've got to get back on track and actually make some progress in March and get out of this rut.

Lyn Replied:

Wow Nutmeg, what an amazing opportunity! I have only in the last few days gotten myself back on track, and I didn't have an awesome vacation as an excuse, I was just off the rails. I have a feeling March is going to be a good month for all of us!

Angela Replied:

I've been browsing the internet for doable exercise videos. By doable I mean upright ( the floor is still out of my range of motion) beginner level but interesting enough to motivate me to do them. Also, body weight only I have enough of that without adding weights. I've found a few but am wondering if anyone else has a go to work out video. If not, what are you doing to get in a few minutes of exercise each day? It's far to icy and snowy outside to start walking yet.

kc Replied:

Angela, try Leslie Sansone walk DVDs. I enjoyed them, but unfortunately haven't done them in quite a long time. I will have to dig them out and dust them off.

Angela Replied:

Thanks there seems to be lots of them free on the internet

Angela Replied:

one mile walk done! Thanks kc

Angela Replied:

2 miles!! It's not so bad walking indoors. Thanks Again!!

kc Replied:

Glad you like her Angela. I will go dig out the 1 mile and get her done this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.