JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Health issues

Sandy

I just learned that a weight loss of 5% will lower your risk of breast cancer by 12%. I also learned that a 10 pound weight loss gives you a loss of 40 pounds of stress on your joints. Do those facts motivate you to lose weight or is it too detatched from your day to day? I'm not sure. Despite having a higher risk of breast cancer and having knee issues, I'm not sure that would motivate me to lose weight. What do you think?

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

It SHOULD motivate me, logically I would think it WOULD motivate me, but I have known both of these things (as well as others) for a long time and I'm still in the same boat so I guess it isn't immediate enough to scare me straight.

Shari (CE) Replied:

It is motivating me because the thought of 2 knee replacements scares me and the pain is a constant reminder. I'm also at risk for breast cancer so thanks for the info.
My mother had a mastectomy in 2019 and seeing what she went through is scarier than 2 knee replacements
Food for thought

deb Replied:

I saw that yesterday on TV as well Sandy! It does motivate me (to a certain extent). My recent health issues have scared me as well, but did that stop me from getting into my grandkids little foil wrapped chocolate eggs last night?? Nope!

MandyC Replied:

About 2 years ago i knelt funny (care worker) and had a painful right knee for a few weeks. It was ok until about 6 months ago when i went to a new city with a friend. While there we walked down a very long steep hill and its not been right since.
It's been affecting my sleep now and getting worse. I even noticed last week thats its swollen and my ankle is now swollen and i can feel a painful "pulling" in my butt!

I have put off making a drs appointment as i KNOW they will mention my weight. And i dont think it's due to that, but obviously the weight isnt making it any better. Made an appointment for monday. I am dreading it.

Yet i've still just eaten a slice of black forest cake that i made out of "boredom" when i could have done 100 other things instead.
I'm very much my own worst enemy

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

It SHOULD motivate me but right now I'm more motivated by the more immediate payoffs and consequences.

For example, I need to go queue at the license department to collect my driver's license. I have been putting it off (along with the rest of South Africa lol) for a while but now the government has announced that there will be no more extensions and after the 25th Apr, you can get arrested for not having a valid license. I also need to take my car for its annual service by end April or my maintenance plan will be voided.

I know that to be able to do the amount of walking and standing in line for both these things, 10lbs off my body would go a long way to lessen the backpain. Watch how quickly I lose 10lbs by the end of April.

Time Out (Alex) 💋 Replied:

It is definitely motivating and worth both those wins and so many more I'm sure.

MandyC Replied:

Just an update from my doctor's appointment. Booked in for an x-ray and some physio. Sadly it appears as though it's permanent damage to the bone instead of ligaments. Obviously he wanted to weigh me which I was less than happy about and then of course he mentioned that this basically may not have happened had I been a normal weight

Sandy Replied:

Sorry to hear that Mandy. I hope they can give you some help with your issues. We all know our weight is damaging us in some way... but it's not easy!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.