JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Self imposed boundaries

Sandy

I realized that the reminder on my fitbit to move every hour was restricting my joy. For years I have let it schedule me, haunt me, make me feel like I failed and torture me. I removed the goal of getting 250 steps every hour and I feel liberated! I don't need it to reach the end goal of steps by the end of the day.
Do you have any self imposed boundaries that are robbing you of joy?

deb Replied:

Good for you Sandy!

deb Replied:

I am trying to free myself of that "all or nothing" mentality! If I slip up and eat something that is not on my plan, I am trying to just forget about it and start right back the next meal, the next day or whatever!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Great post, Sandy! I have a daily to-do/to-be list that is impossible for any human to achieve in one day, which was making me feel like a failure on a daily basis when things on the list were unfinished at the end of the day; I was setting myself up for that false failure. I still have that daily to-do list, but switched to assessing weekly and noting the wellness rotation. I drink 72 ounces of water most days, but constantly tracking it was robbing me of my joy; so I stopped tracking on weekends, and lo and behold, I know how to hydrate on my own, lol! I believe at day's end that what I did was enough, and even say it aloud sometimes.

Thank you for putting this out there!

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Apparently I don't have enough self imposed boundaries which is why I am overweight. LOL But seriously, tracking was the thing that robbed me of joy. I hated it. Because if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right, and since I make most of my meals at home I had to look up every vegetable or whatever and then measure out the completed recipe to see how many portions it made and then measure out each portion every time I ate and then the next time if I altered the recipe at all I had to start all over. It was just too much and when I stopped doing that it was a game changer. Every once in a while I still make a list of foods I eat in a week to make sure I'm getting a good range of food diversity instead of living off of the same 5 veggies and 2 grains. But I don't do that very often and it ends up being more fun instead of time consuming because there is no measuring.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

And the funny thing about the hourly reminder on my fitbit, it helps me keep track of the day so I don't get engulfed in something and lose track of time. I has never once actually incentivized me to get up and finish my steps for the hour and I have never once felt guilty about it. LOL Again, this may be part of why I'm overweight...

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

I literally just wanted to say the same thing that Lyn said... I don't have enough self imposed boundaries and that's why I am where I am today

To be very frank and open, being the weight I am IS the self-imposed boundary.
That's why I love the quote by Rumi: "Why do you stay in prison, when the door is so wide open"

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

I agree Thulz, my current body situation is totally a self imposed boundary.

Sandy Replied:

I appreciate hearing from you... it helps to know we are all just human after all.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

In the early days of WW, everything was weigh and measure, weigh and measure. Then many years later they offered a plan with unlimited produce of any type, which I loved. Then with Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean food plan, it's also no weighing and measuring. As someone who has had struggles with perfectionism and OCD, the joy focus is a game changer.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.