JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

All bone broths are not created equal

Sandy

Did you know that the amount of sodium in chicken broth is ridiculous? I am making my own soups to avoid sodium and I use quite a bit of bone broth. Less sodium types are NOT the best choice. Here's what their labels say:
Swanson regular chicken broth--860 mg sodium
Swanson 33% less sodium broth--570 mg sodium
Swanson organic chicken broth--140 mg sodium
Swanson unsalted chicken broth--45 mg sodium
Needless to say I am using the unsalted version for all my cooking. I often use broth instead of oil to saute things too so it adds up fast!

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

I always make my own soups so I know exactly what is in them and I always water sauté. I make my own veggie broth in the instant pot with veggie scraps and I freeze it so that way I know what I'm eating. I love soups and they can be really healthy when you make them yourself.

Sandy Replied:

I have made my own broths but I like the convenience of having it in the fridge... I'm lazy. I agree that homemade soups are the way to go. I made a creamy tomato basil this morning.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

That sounds delicious!

Melinda Replied:

The instant pot is awesome for making bone broth! I've been on a kick since January. I think it's interesting how much protein bone broth can have, and wonder how my homemade version stacks up. I buy it too though, good to keep sodium in mind!

deb Replied:

I made homemade chicken soup yesterday ~ it was so yummy and full of good things. I tried my hand at homemade dinner rolls too but forgot to put the egg in! . They weren't bad, just not as light and flaky as they would've been with the egg.

Diane Replied:

Sandy, What is your recipe for creamy tomato basil. Megan loves different tomato soups.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.