JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Family sayings

Sandy

I was talking to someone about things I used to say that are absolutely not politically correct. We didn't think about what we were saying. That led us to local sayings that others probably don't use... do you have any in your family or in your area? I know around here we say ope a lot. "Ope... I dropped the spoon" or "Ope... there he goes"

Sandy Replied:

Another from our region or maybe just our era is "I'm into my cups" meaning I'm drinking. I introduced that one to Lyn and she'd never heard it before.

Lyn💛 Replied:

And I am diligently trying to make sure everyone I knows hears it. LOL

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hilarious! The things that I grew up hearing and saying are not repeatable here!

Lyn💛 Replied:

Yeah I have a couple that my inlaws used to throw around that I most certainly can not put on here.

Sandy Replied:

Is it a hotdish or a casserole in your world?

Lyn💛 Replied:

Casserole! I'm in the St. Louis area where we have pork steaks, toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake

Sandy Replied:

Lyn I don't know what any of that is but it all sounds good!!!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Casserole, the dreaded casserole!

deb Replied:

It's casserole in Ohio. The first time I heard the erm "hot dish" was on the Food network show, "Girl Meets Farm" I think it's called. Do you say soda or pop?

Lyn💛 Replied:

soda

deb Replied:

I used to always say pop while growing up. Since then, it's about 50/50...sometimes soda, sometimes pop!

Sandy Replied:

It's definitely pop here. I make hotdish. The noon meal is lunch and the evening meal is supper... unless you go out to eat someplace fancy then that's dinner.

Sandy Replied:

I love when Diane reminds me of y'all. We never say that here but some say "Yous guys". We joke about it but those of scandinavian decent... older people, say that.

Lyn💛 Replied:

We say "you guys" here. Lunch and supper, dinner isn't really used a lot but it can be either, which I think is why it isn't used much because then you have to clarify. I've never even heard hotdish!

deb Replied:

We say "you guys" also...it's lunch & supper or dinner....I use those terms interchangeably. Do you say "vacuum your carpets" or "sweep your carpets"? Also, is it "creek" or "crick"? We say "tennis shoes" for sneakers or athletic footwear.

Lyn💛 Replied:

vacuum, creek, and tennis shoes

Sandy Replied:

People here actually say yous guys not you guys.... it wasn't a typo. We do tennis shoes, we vacumn and don't really call them creeks... they're rivers.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

My Swedish grandmother said yous all the time.

Jenn J Replied:

I can't think of anything specific that my family used to say.

Anna Replied:

lol, I live in an Acadian Village in Cape Breton. We have 7 different distinct cultures and a book that is all about Cape Breton Eaze. And Franglais is spoken in Cheticamp which is a very strong mixture of French and English. I am sending a video link. This is just a small amount of our slang words...

Here is something I found online and I am sending a video if you want over the top lingo info.... lol.

Still, there is a shared lexicon. Here are 10 Cape Bretonisms you'll encounter from Glace Bay to Gabarus:

How's she goin', b'y? Literally, "How are things going, boy?" Not limited to boys. Arguably the best-known, most-mimicked Cape Breton expression. Locally, used mostly in self-parody.
Right: Adverb meaning very or so. "Archie's right good on that fiddle."
Some: Equivalent to right. "That neighbour a yours is some strange, wha?"
Wha? Interjection; the Cape Breton equivalent of eh.
Stunned: Dim-witted, obtuse. "Youse kids are some stunned."
Youse: Plural of you. Not unique to Cape Breton, but ubiquitous there.
Never'd: Did not, never did. "Hector says I went and ate all the oatcakes, but I never'd."
To be + after: To indicate past or habitual action. "Mary was after givin' him holy hell for them awful directions." "Toronto's so big, people are after getting lost there."
Dear: Term of address used for just about anyone, whether beloved or not. "See ya later, dear." "Look, dear, quit gawkin' and just give me a boonabrayed."
From away: Hailing from anywhere other than Cape Breton. From-away status can last a generation or more. "That stunned Peck girl's after moving here from away."

After reading the above, some of these are not used in this side of the island. We are very influenced by the French Culture on this side of the island....

We can talk right, we choose not too. lol

deb Replied:

Thanks Anna ~ the web link was funny! We say a couple of those things here, like conniption! My parents used to say that one!

Lyn💛 Replied:

Yes, I grew up saying a few of those too. Especially conniption fit!

Sandy Replied:

I agree Anna. The video was funny. Thanks for sharing.
You should look up talking Minnesotan on the internet sometime. It's pretty funny. I don't think we have an accent but others surely do.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.