JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days: Day 19: Eat reasonable amounts

Jenn J

Today's Tasks:

With each of the foods you eat today, take the amount you think is your designated serving size. Then weigh or measure the food and see how close you came to being correct.

Repeat this exercise until you are confident about your estimating skills.

In your notebook, write down your ideal serving size for the food items you eat most.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Good one! It is so easy for me to overestimate portions one small increment at a time until it's way off. Early on, it helped me so much to be strict about portions. But with eating clean, I do not weigh or measure anything, and I can eyeball things pretty well and adjust accordingly if I start to gain weight.

Jenn J Replied:

I am learning portions now that I'm watching carbs and sugars. Until this year I have never considered portions to be an issue. I always "knew" American portions were distorted. We have cereal bowls that hold 3 portions, yet we expect our kids to only eat a portion. No wonder we have weight issues in this country.

Anna Replied:

This one I got down pretty good. I have a bit of OCD if anyone has noticed by my writing, lol. So that takes care of that in a hurry. Sadly, I also no that I am blowing my portion control out of the window if I have a tub of ice cream in front of me. My biggest trick is to use small plates and bowls and a small pot or frying pan when I am cooking and portioned out meal items before I even start. But I realize that this is not possible or much harder if you have a family to cook for.

Jenn J Replied:

I'm very lucky my SO is supportive. Just last night he made a Stoufers lasagna and we split it so it was a portion. I'm so happy to see a loss today.

Phyllis Replied:

This will probably be a hard lesson for me.
Sometimes I just need to leave the kitchen scales & measuring spoons out as I go about my day.
When I see a big increase in a month, this is always what I need to go back to first.
I wonder if it will ever get easier for me.

Jenn J Replied:

Phyllis, this is a HUGE challenge in our lives. You see examples of over eating every time there is a food commercial. It is expected to be given over sized portions and then it is expected to eat that entire portion. It's very frustrating. A snack bag of chips is so over sized compared to a real portion.

It's scary how off track our eating has become as a society.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.