JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Daily "Life Hacks" - 06/05/2018

Time Out (Alex)

5. Get some sleep.
When in doubt, sleep. Sleep appears to be a miracle solution for ailments across the board: It can boost your mood, improve your performance at work and even hamper headaches. Extensive research has shown that people who sleep fewer hours are more likely to be overweight. When you're running on empty, you feel hungrier than you would with quality rest.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I think I need to work on getting more than my 6 hours of sleep.

Lyn Replied:

I most definitely need to work on this.

Gwen Replied:

I know in my head sleep is important and try to get to bed early enough to relax before I sleep. The theory is easier than the practice.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I haven't said this in a while, but sleep was the single biggest roadblock to my getting to goal weight and being in Maintenance for eight years now. It was a bigger factor than what I was eating or drinking, and how much exercise I was getting. Sleep deprivation messes with hormonal balance and overloads adrenals. It was a HUGE struggle to gradually get to a point of sleeping 7-9 hours a night. Unfortunately, I can blow and go indefinitely but this bod needs lots of down time. To this day it does not come naturally to get enough rest a night; I literally have to plan it every day, but it is so worth it! Do it! Get the downtime, rest, and sleep that your body needs!

Lyn Replied:

That is good to know Jeanne, very inspirational. I lay in bed on my computer at night way later than I should, I know I shouldn't but it helps me empty my mind. I really do need to work on getting to sleep earlier.

Penny Replied:

I recently, within the past few weeks, have been getting about an hour more sleep than I used to. It hasn't helped my weight loss any, but it sure has helped my mind. I have a daughter that will be 32 on the 24th of this month and she is a recovering heroin addict. Two weeks ago she made the choice to walk away from the halfway house and recovery program that she was in, and has probably relapsed. I also have a son that is about to be 19 in a couple of weeks and he also has had some serious "drama" lately. I had to ask him to leave my home because he brought marijuana into my home and I had already told him that I absolutely would not tolerate that. I told you that to tell you this: although both situations are quite stressful for me, it is amazing how much easier it is to handle when I'm well rested. Sleep and rest are much more important to me than I used to give them credit for.

Sandy Replied:

The older I get the harder it is to sleep... especially with our long daylight hours. I know I need more sleep.

cheryl Replied:

I try to get in my Z's but according to my fitbit I'm lucky to get 6 hours in I'm in bed between 9-10 but I wake up sooooo many times during the night, I get hot then cold and I have a bad back and hips so it's a battle between finding a comfy position and the right temp.

Penny, I'm sorry to hear about your stress, I hope your daughter can find the help she needs!

Diane Replied:

I can rest better if I plan to go to bed earlier than I need and read until I am sleepy. Then I have a restful nights sleep. I usually get around 9 hours of sleep per night.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Good luck Penny! With 3 younger boys I get concerned with those things you are going through. My oldest is in High School and he tells me he's constantly being asked if he wants pot. I'm happy he's telling me this, because I feel like I still have in my corner, however it scares me everyday that he will make the wrong decision. I try not to react when he tells me this, and I always tell him that he made a great choice and that he is very brave and I'm proud of him. It's a scary place. Good luck with your kids. I hope they make the right decision.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.