JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

What is going on with this message board?

jenny

I wonder if admin would consider closing very old threads so they can be read but not reopened. Quite frankly I think it is not helpful to open restart a thread that is over 5 years old, if there is new things to be said on it then start a new thread.

Many of the posters who started these threads are not around any more so commenting on how they are doing now is just pointless.

Sorry to be harsh but I am getting to the point that I don't even look at it because it annoys me so much but would welcome other opinion as whether I am just being a grumpy old woman!

jenny Replied:

This for context was my reply to Rjatt who posted a long post addressed to me

Rjatt
I am sorry if I have offended you that was never my intention and you seem to have taken the things I have said in entirely the wrong way. I have never judged you and I'm sorry if you feel I have. In fact I miss you when you don't post.

As far as the competitions are concerned I have never indicated that you should not enter I simply stated that they were not for me and I understand everyone is different.

You are wrong in thinking I have not been welcoming to many posters I am in fact in contact by Buddy Chat to many posters who don't post (there choice) but we continue to encourage each other.

This is an open message board and open for everyone's thoughts and opinions. You are right that I (just my opinion) do not think that old messages are very relevant when dragged up from years ago.

Rjatt, losing weight here has never been about beating others it has always been about supporting others. No one is heading to fast food they are all searching for health.

I will be very sorry if you leave for sure I won't, I find this a friendly, stimulating environment that I have been a part of for over 10 years. I apologise if you feel I have upset you.

StartYourDiet.com Development Team Replied:

Post 1 of 2:

Most forums lock old threads and/or have moderators that monitor the activity, and bumping old threads is generally frowned upon in community forums. Starting today, if a topic is over 90 days old, it is automatically closed, but still readable. And to be clear, this is 90 days since the last reply, if a thread is active, it will not be closed. We'll always listen to feedback and if we need to make some adjustments to this function, we will!

Lyn Replied:

Well said Jenny.

StartYourDiet.com Development Team Replied:

Post 2 of 2:

Since simplifying and updating the message board earlier this year, we've seen a nice uptick in engagement. We also have a great new feature coming next week. Lots of positive things going on!

Many off-the-shelf forum packages include functionality that disallow bumping old threads, but since this forum is hand-coded, no such restriction was ever put in place. Adding the code today isn't so much a response to a single situation, but more of a "makes sense that our forum should have this" type thing.

Your feedback is important to the health of the program and has led to many improvements and additions over the years. It is greatly appreciated.

jenny Replied:

Thank you

Gwen Replied:

The health of the program and the health of SYD members are key in this thread. Every person on SYD is valued and respected. Imagine I too have been here for ten years and find the site to be non-judgemental and very supportive and helpful no matter what the person chooses in terms of how to lose weight.

Thank you to the development team for helping us on our journey. We appreciate you. I don't have a clue about how forums work but am very glad you do!

Let us all continue to go for our very best goals!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Thanks, Development Team! You do so much for us, and give us the opportunity to support each other on our wellness journeys. I love this site and those involved!

Penny Replied:

This is very encouraging. I just started SYD on April 30 and got a little frustrated and discouraged reading several boards that had been commented on in a negative and sarcastic fashion. I didn't really know if any of my comments would be welcome since I'm so new. I really, REALLY enjoy reading the boards, even though I don't have a lot of comments as of yet. Please keep encouraging the positive and addressing the negative. I think we would all agree that the negative isn't helpful but the positive makes a huge difference. Thanks for all of your support and great suggestions and comments. I'm hoping to be an SYDer for life!!

Gwen Replied:

A big welcome Penny!

jenny Replied:

Welcome Penny, I agree positive is the way forward. We are here to support you.

Penny Replied:

Thanks, Gwen and Jenny!! It's been a pretty exciting ride so far. I'm a little ahead of schedule. I was hoping to lose 1.5 pounds a week and lost 3.2 my first week (as of last Friday). Then I fooled around and got lax over the weekend and gained 2.4 !! BUT...this morning I was down a total of 3.5 so I'm back on track! Wow...I do NOT understand my body! However, doing the 100 days is keeping me motivated and so now I feel in control again.

Thanks again for the welcome and the motivation. I hope everyone is having an awesome Monday!

Lyn Replied:

Welcome Penny, great to have you here! I will say, it is very rare that the boards turn negative around here, this is a great group of people, so supportive and helpful, you will love it here! As for not understanding your body...well, you will learn and figure it out along the way, and then it will do something crazy out of the blue anyway. LOL Anyway, welcome!!!

Penny Replied:

Thanks, Lyn! It's great to be here. Hopefully I'll keep up regularly with the boards, but if I don't, it's just because I have too many things going sometimes. You guys and girls will be a welcome distraction!

Lyn Replied:

I can tell you from experience it is better to show up and be involved, it helps keep you accountable. But of course life is hectic so I get it!

jenny Replied:

Well said Lyn and well done Penny. No one walks a straight line to a healthy body, we all have ups and downs but being here helps smooth them down a bit. There is great support here. Keep going, take each day as it comes.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Jenny, I'm so happy you started this, because I too stopped reading them when I realized they were really old boards coming back. It was confusing and unfortunately moved all the new ones down to the other pages.

I think 99% of the people on here are positive and are always their for one another. I enjoy all my friends.

jenny Replied:

Thank you. Sadly I offended Rjatt and that was not my intention but I do think everyone is really supportive, this is certainly my safe place and I know that applies to others too. It is important the message board is current and not full of very old posts

It would be lovely if more people posted to the message board regularly but I also know we all live busy lives. It's very good to see you back here.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Well, I'm back and I don't know if you remember, but I do chime in quite a bit,

I find it helpful supporting each other.

Lyn Replied:

How could we forget you, you're amazing! Awesome to see you back on the boards!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.