JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Daily "Life Hacks" - 05/31/2018

Time Out (Alex)

Feeling down? Try eating some oatmeal, cereal, salmon, milk, dark chocolate, or bananas. These foods have all been proven to boost mood.

by Life Hacks

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Lyn & Penny - I found your excuse to eat chocolate!

Lyn Replied:

Hooray! I love dark chocolate.

Penny Replied:

I bought a big bar of 86% dark chocolate, thinking I was doing a good thing. I was going to eat 1 square anytime I was hungry for chocolate. I tried my first nibble last night. It was WAY too bitter for me!! If you've ever tasted Hershey's Powdered Cocoa, it was that bad! Apparently I need more sugar with it!! I like Hershey's Dark Chocolate, but the pure stuff....not so much.

Lyn Replied:

72% is better, but again, I like the dark. Dark chocolate is certainly a different experience than milk chocolate, if you have a craving for one the other won't fulfill it that's for sure.

Penny Replied:

Yeah, I'm going to try that. I'm hoping it will be mild enough to pass. I was just trying the whole "high in flavonoids" thing. I did the same thing when I was told that red wine would help lower my cholesterol. However, I tried, but I really didn't like the taste of red wine so I didn't see the need to acquire a taste for it!

cheryl Replied:

I did not know this! Thanks for the info

Penny Replied:

Okay...I tried the 72. I can tolerate it and it will be good enough to get me through a chocolate craving but I don't think I'll even eat a whole square. Hershey's Dark chocolate is apparently Hershey's Milk chocolate with a dark mask on ! It tastes really good, but has too much sugar to be "real" dark chocolate.

These message sessions are helping me so much...and SO much fun!!

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I love the 92%! I know I'm crazy, but love, love it. I can only find one brand and now they sell it in the small squares individually wrapped, I was so excited.

When I eat it, I do notice a little more energy and I just feel better. Who knew!

Lyn Replied:

I think once you adjust to the fact that dark chocolate is a completely different beast than milk chocolate you start noticing that you can enjoy the higher numbers and you only need a small quantity of it. I love it, I would pick it over "regular" chocolate any day.

Gwen Replied:

I found 100% chocolate when we were on holiday. It was bitter but rich and really grew on me. One square was enough! I never thought I would EVER say one square was enough!

Aunt Jan Replied:

I like milk chocolate and don't enjoy dark chocolate. While preparing dinner tonight, I came across a bag of chocolate covered graham crackers. I forgot that they were in the freezer, I hope they don't call my name sometime during the night. I was definitely better off when I didn't know they existed.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I love chocolate, and through my journey of becoming mostly added-sweetener free, have gradually come to absolutely embrace the dark chocolate and foods with either no or greatly reduced sweeteners. The dark chocolate is so rich that it does not trigger overeating it like the cheapo junky milk chocolate always did for me. My comfortable percentage is around 72-90%. @Gwen, 100% wow! That really made me smile to read that!

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

You guys are right you don't need much. That is why I was happy when I found them individually wrapped so it stays fresher. I don't eat it everyday either and 1 square fills that need.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.