JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Carb/Sugar Sensitivity: What About Fruit??

Penny

I am very sensitive to carbs. I can gain weight LOOKING at bread and sugar!! Here's my question of the day: are you carb-sensitive and if so, do you have to limit your fruits as well as breads, pasta and potatoes? I really try to get at least one banana and one apple in a day, but now berry season and different kinds of melons are also going to be so tasty. A former Weight Watcher's leader of mine had so much trouble with hers that her doctor actually told her to stay away from fruit! I know some are a bit high in sugar, but it's natural sugar so I figured that was different. Fruit is my go-to snack a lot of times, but my weight loss is SO SLOW. What is your experience with fruit?? Don't worry about it, limit it, or stay away from it?

Lyn Replied:

I never limit fruits and vegetables. If you eat fruit in its whole form it has everything needed for the body to process it in a healthy way. Just the juice is a problem because you are now lacking the fiber and everything to process it. I do try and stay away from processed grains and stuff so not a lot of breads and the like for me anymore but there are times I will indulge. I find that I don't really want it anymore like I used to. That is my take on it anyway, it is what works for my body. Everyone is different!

Penny Replied:

I feel the same way, Lyn. I never drink fruit juices, but I do like grapefruit for breakfast and bananas and apples for snacks. I think I still need to limit the pasta and potatoes a little more, but I rarely eat bread anymore. I quit drinking soft drinks a couple of years ago and that was something I thought I could NEVER do! Now I don't really even think about drinking one, although the occasional (and that's really seldom) real Coke is really good! I'm beginning to be the same way about breads. I've still got to figure out how to get more protein on a regular basis. It's all about balance! I'm learning!

Cedric Replied:

I know Rjatt is on a fruit diet, but, nope, I don't miss fruit on my low carb diet. Fruits *are* absorbed slower than most carbs, though most refined carbs are the equivalent of freebasing <insert drug here>. Some fruits are introduced earlier in Atkins and other low carb diets, such as berries, but bananas and apples are relatively high in sugars, so are to be eaten less frequently.

Since you're sensitive to carbs, mebbe check out Atkins or any low carb diet that has you re-introduce carbs gradually into your diet.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Interesting topic, Penny! I am not carb sensitive per se, and I do not limit any fresh produce. However, the fruits that I choose the most often are berries, apples, and citrus. I almost never eat carbs that are not plant based. I make my own grain/gluten free breads, and my go-to "grain' is quinoa, which I classify as a sprouted seed.

Penny Replied:

Thank you for all of these responses. I think the true root of my problem is that I'm not eating enough calories in relation to the calories I'm burning. This has been a long-standing problem with me. Mentally I have a hard time eating past a certain number of calories, even though I'm burning quite a few. My mind says if I eat more calories I'll just gain, but my body is saying if you don't feed me more I need to hang on to what I have. I have maintained a 10-pound loss since last year but I still have about 30 to go. So for now, I think I'm going to forego the bananas (after eating the last two I bought this week) and look for the lower sugar fruit. I'm still staying away from refined carbs for the most part and not eating and drinking any added sugar.

Thanks again for the input and I will take more...on any topic!! You guys are awesome!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

And as Lyn said, everyone is different. The beauty of this site is that we can all support and learn from each other as we transform to our most well selves!

Cindy H. Replied:

I eat mostly berries when I eat fruit. If you are trying to eat low carb many of the other fruits are quite high. That said, if I were in a pinch I'd eat whole fruit over other carbs. But natural sugar or not, it raises your insulin level and will certainly slow your weight loss. If weight loss is your goal you might want to switch out to a high fat/low carb snack instead. I make coconut fat bombs and use those in place of snack foods.

Lyn Replied:

I guess I am lucky in that I really don't have a problem with fruit slowing my weight loss. I always find it interesting how differently foods can affect people. Like caffeine, I can have endless amounts of it and it does not affect me at all, my kiddos are a different story, holy cow. And I love these conversations because I learn things and sometimes I figure out that certain foods may impact me in ways that I never thought of.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

One of our dear chosen family members is a holistic chiropractor and nutritionist. Tim hugely helps me to manage my nutritional needs, and regularly assesses how my body functions and how well I really am. My body does best with a lot of fresh produce, and quite a bit of fruit. I just feel better eating that way, and that did not hinder my weight loss nor does it currently interfere with Maintenance of goal weight. Like Lyn, caffeine does not affect me, and I can take in small amounts of natural sugars (cane sugar, agave, honey, molasses) and other carbs without it triggering overeating. My history of overeating has been emotionally based, so I can handle anything in moderation, as long as it's clean eats! I have gotten much better at listening to my body and making choices accordingly. For himself, Tim prefers IF with emphasis on low carb or keto.Fascinating topic, this!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.