JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Sugar!

Midge

I'm addicted to sugar. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

jenny Replied:

I think you are not the only one. I gave up alcohol over 10 years ago and that was easier than giving up sugar. I can give it up for months at a time and then wham the sugar monster is back! Just keep trying.

Rjaatt Replied:

Starchy foods include peas, corn, potatoes, beans, pasta, rice and grains. Starches are a more concentrated source of carbohydrates and calories than fruits, nonstarchy vegetables and dairy, but many of them are excellent sources of fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
These starchy fruits are plantain, banana and dried fruits such as figs, raisins and dried apricots.
These vegetables, including lettuce, peppers, asparagus, onions, eggplant and artichokes, are very low in starch. Corn, parsnips, green peas, potatoes, pumpkins, winter squash and yams all fall into this category.

Rjaatt Replied:

Glucose, a form of sugar, is the primary source of energy for every cell in the body. Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body. Brain functions such as thinking, memory, and learning are closely linked to glucose levels and how efficiently the brain uses this fuel source. If there isn't enough glucose in the brain, for example, neurotransmitters, the brain's chemical messengers, are not produced and communication between neurons breaks down.

When simple sugars are naturally found in [whole foods], they come with vitamins, minerals, protein, phytochemicals and fiber. The presence of fiber makes a significant difference because it slows down the absorption of sugar, which slows its impact on blood sugar. Natural sugar in whole food is so-called "Good Sugar."

[Whole foods] are plant foods that are unprocessed and unrefined, or processed and refined as little as possible, before being consumed. Examples of whole foods include whole grains, tubers, legumes, fruits, vegetables.

Rjaatt Replied:

Which type of sugar is best?

Stevia. Type: Natural substitute. ...
Honey. Type: An even blend of fructose and glucose. ...
Coconut Sugar. ...
Raw Cane Sugar. ... ( this is the only sugar I ever use)
Agave. ...
Brown Sugar. ...
Granulated White Sugar. ...
Sweeteners (Aspartame, Splenda)

Table sugar increases type 2 diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease risks. High intake of refined "White Sugar" can also lead to the following conditions: Think twice how you cook with "Sugar" Adapt to Raw or natural Organic, Pay the few pennies extra and the taste is so much better. Always check your labels for what sugars are being used most will not tell you;
Then DON"T EAT IT!

tooth decay
gout
immunosuppression
inflammation
pancreatic damage
multiple sclerosis
vision problems
osteoporosis
hyperactivity
hypertension
hypercholesterolemia
nutritional deficiencies
cancer
kidney problems
depression
schizophrenia

Rjaatt Replied:

I found my idol other then God. LOL

You will love this: Jack LaLanne on his poor childhood health.

me and jack "Monday Morning" anyone want to join us? if so Leave a HEART if you worked out to Jackie baby!

kc Replied:

I used to follow him with my mom. Loved him.

Rjaatt Replied:

The 5 Countries That Produce the Most Sugar
1) Brazil
2) India
3) "China"
4) Thailand
5) Pakistan

Since sugar cane is a tropical plant, it can only be cultivated in countries near the equator, or in areas where there are average temperatures of 24°C (75°F), combined with strong sunshine and heavy seasonal rainfall or plentiful supplies of water for irrigation. Major cane sugar regions include Brazil, India, China, Thailand, Australia, South Africa, Mexico and Guatemala.

8000BC In the beginning, sugar cane was valued for the sweet syrup it produced. As people migrated to different parts of the world, the good news spread, and eventually, sugar cane plants were found in "Southeast "Asia", India, and Polynesia"

500BC A new form of sugar was discovered -- sugar crystals! This major breakthrough in ancient technology occurred in India, when sugar cane juice was boiled until crystals developed.

325BC "Honey without bees?" Could this be true? This is how sugar was first described to Alexander the Great. As his empire spread across "Asia" and into Africa and Europe, so did the cultivation of sugar cane.

200BC A Chinese emperor "heard about" India's secret for "manufacturing sugar", and he sent his emissary there to learn about this sweet sensation. Sugar cane was planting roots around the world.

1493- Christopher Columbusis credited with introducing sugar cane to
the New World, but that was old news in places like [Southeast Asia] where sugar had already been
making life sweeter for [over 8,000 years].

Rjaatt Replied:

Top Five Countries with The Best Teeth in The World They say Sugar is bad for your Teeth?

1. Germany/United
2. Denmark/Luxembourg
3. Netherlands/Switzerland
4. Sweden
5. Beligum/Ireland

Countries with the Worst Oral Health
1. Philippines
2. India
3. Australia
4. Bolivia
5. Poland

How funny China is not on this LIST!

Rjaatt Replied:

1. Low-Fat Yogurt

Yogurt can be a highly nutritious food. However, not all yogurt is created equal.

Like many other low-fat products, low-fat yogurts have sugar added to them to enhance flavor.

For example, a single cup (245 grams) of low-fat yogurt can contain up to 47 grams of sugar, which is 12 teaspoons. This is more than the daily limit for men and women in just a single cup of so-called "healthy" yogurt

Furthermore, low-fat yogurt doesn't seem to have the same health benefits as full-fat yogurt

It's best to choose full-fat, natural or Greek yogurt. Avoid yogurt that has been sweetened with sugar.

Rjaatt Replied:

Sugar and Bipolar Disorder; I think my mother was Bipolar. UP and Down Right and Left at the same time, in one door out the other door and would have fits for hours on hours.
Sweets may make you feel better temporarily, but all that sugar is bad news for mood swings. Lots of people consider a pint of ice cream the perfect cure for the blues. Others indulge in sugary snacks as a way to get an energetic high. But for people with bipolar disorder, sugar and other simple carbohydrates may harm more than help.

Carbohydrate cravings in bipolar patients are legendary, so much so that increased intake of sugary treats is considered a clue to bipolar disorder during diagnosis. People who are depressed munch on sugary snacks to make themselves feel better and then, in the throes of a manic high, mindlessly devour high-carb junk food.

Low serotonin levels tend to trigger an appetite in general and cravings for carbohydrates in particular, So people with bipolar disorder may be indulging in a form of self-medication when they eat sugary snacks during depressive lows or manic highs.

To help eliminate sugar cravings and maintain good blood sugar levels and healthy brain chemistry, you should:

Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, which are rich in complex carbohydrates, the DBSA recommends.
Be sure to eat enough protein, which can improve alertness without the rush of a sugar high. Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, and low-fat dairy products are good, healthy sources of protein. Poultry, oil-rich fish, beans, nuts and nut butters, soy, tofu, and seeds are protein sources that have the added benefit of being rich in tryptophan. More tryptophan in the diet allows for a healthy production of serotonin and may promote more stable moods, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Eat more omega-3 fatty acids. A deficiency in these essential fats affects the release of serotonin and other neurotransmitters, according to research published in March 2014 in the journal Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. Researchers noted that an increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids helped reduce the incidence of depressive episodes and that bipolar disorder patients who ate more fatty fish were less likely to attempt suicide. Fatty fish such as salmon, walnuts, flaxseeds, and some vegetable oils including canola are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.

Cedric Replied:

Sugar and simple starches quickly break down into sugar in the bloodstream. This causes a spike in insulin levels, but, over a long period of sugar consumption, your body becomes resistant to insulin, leading to various problems related to sugar in your bloodstream, such as diabetes.

Okay. You know that. But there's another hormone, leptin, which is constantly secreted by your fat cells. This hormone, when it reaches the brain, causes your brain to tell you that you're no longer hungry. Except that this hormone needs to cross the blood-brain barrier between your circulatory system to your brain, and high levels of triglycerides -- as found in overweight people -- block the hormone from reaching the brain. This spike in triglycerides can also happen very quickly.

It's positive feedback of the worst kind. You eat simple carbohydrates, your body produces insulin, you produce triglyercides, you block leptin, you become hungry, you become hungry again, and you eat *more* simple carbohydrates. Low carb diets stop this cycle, and, for those who are successful on this diet, most weight loss is caused by reduced appetite. I've only mentioned an overview, so you can find more by searching on "carbohydrates leptin".

Lyn Replied:

That is a good explanation of this Cedric.

Cedric Replied:

Thanks -- sorry, I should have written "This spike in triglycerides can also happen very quickly when you consume simple carbohydrates."

BTW, Dr. Jason Fung's "Aetiology of Obesity" is a good series of videos to watch to understand why there's sugar everywhere. Essentially, in the 1970's we were told that saturated fats are bad for you (which has been shown not to be that simplistic, since some saturated fats are good, and they keep you satiated). So food manufacturers took out the fat, but this lost the flavor. They replaced it with, you guessed it, carbohydrates. I suspect *yogurt* is an example, with full-fat (?) yogurt disappearing off the shelves (I can't find it at Safeway, even!) and replaced by yogurt with sugar-added. And, after this recommendation, American rates of obesity *increased*.

Rjaatt Replied:

Doppelganger! I think your my doppelganger!
but your info makes more since then mine and on top of that you spell, and do grammar GREAT! Your a blessing to this Site, the more we LEARN, the easier it is to control those habits that are uncontrollable or are they?????????? Mind over Gray Matter".

Rjaatt Replied:

That being said, I believe the consumption of fruit can be beneficial. When you consume fruit, you are not only consuming fructose (in its natural state), but also consuming fiber and lots of vitamins and minerals. Yes, fruit can have an effect on your blood sugar, it IS sugar.

Most: Pineapple: 16 grams of sugar per slice. ...
Pears: 17 grams of sugar per medium pear. ...
Bananas: 17 grams of sugar per large banana. ...
Watermelon: 18 grams of sugar per wedge. ...
Apples: 19 grams of sugar in a small apple. ...
Pomegranates: 39 grams of sugar per pomegranate

Least:
Lemons (and limes) High in vitamin C, lemons and their lime green counterparts are fairly sour fruits. ... These are the Fruits I eat daily or weekly
Raspberries. ...
Strawberries. ...
Blackberries. ...
Grapefruit. ...
Oranges. ...
Avocado. ...
Kiwis. ...

Cedric Replied:

Yep!

My guess is that our behavior with simple carbohydrates stems from our bodies which haven't evolved since agriculture. That is, before agriculture, fruit was only available for a short amount of time wherever it could be found. So we evolved to eat as much of it as soon as possible to obtain its energy. After agriculture, fruit was plentiful, but our bodies didn't change. But we didn't just eat more fruit. We ate sugar, to the point where we didn't eat the fruit anymore. It's an oversimplification, but an explanation for our drive for sugar.

I get to eat fruit next week.

Rjaatt Replied:

I love your Reply's! Tickle me Fancy! Two Peas in a POD! Thank you for making "MY DAY"

Cedric Replied:

Interesting -- fwiw, your Least list of fruits has overlap with Atkins 20 Phase II fruits (and none of the Most are on the list). Good lists!

Rjaatt Replied:

Thank you I do a lot of research! This is my body and I better figure out how it works. That is what I get for Flunking Biology Class.

Rjaatt Replied:

Foods that increase leptin sensitivity (decrease leptin resistance)

Oatmeal. Eating unprocessed oatmeal is one of the best ways to boost your metabolism and decrease leptin resistance. ... and that is what I started to do I learned that in at the end of last year. So this year every morning my first meal is OATMEAL 1/4 cup I found out Flax seed is great in oatmeal. HINT HINT!
Grapefruit. ... EVERY DAY and it has changed my life!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.