JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Sun Bathing Gives you Vitamin D!

Rjaatt

Pro's and Con's on sunbathing,

The mathematical equation found that for every extra 1 ng/ml/ 2.204 of vitamin D (hydroxycholecalciferol), a person can lose an extra 0.196 kg/ 432.106 pounds of fat during sunbathing. And the fat they lose, is abdominal fat, Hip and thigh fat along with belly fat. This study was sun bathing for 20min every day for 3months between 9am and 10am. It was determined that Vitamin D remains stored and inactive for as many as 50 percent of Americans. Researchers examining the effects of vitamin D on 180 senior's, between the ages of 55 to 85. They found the ones with the lowest vitamin D levels were 11 times more likely to suffer from depression.

Snow months are a chance to sit in a chair for about 5 to 20min minutes a day out side. See if that helps you get the sun's vitamin D during the winter months. We all need Vitamin D and supplements are great but the sun is better. Remember early morning sun is less harmful then afternoon sun. Best times are between 8am to 10am during summer months. Remember to use sunblock.

Exposure to Sunlight in moderate amounts has a beneficial influence on the body. Early morning Exposure to Sunlight is essential for the synthesis of Vitamin D in the body. Vitamin D is required for calcium absorption, immune system, strong bones etc and thus daily exposure to low levels of sunlight will strengthen bones and reduce fracture.

Optimum amounts of exposure to sunlight can bring about decrease in blood pressure as well as leads to decrease in the blood cholesterol levels. Sunlight is believed to affect the nitric oxide levels in the skin and blood, thus leading to reduction in the blood pressure which in turns reduces the risk of stroke and heart attacks. Sun's rays also help to reduce concentration of glucose in the blood and may have a positive role on combating diabetes.

1. Helps in combating depression. Sunlight exposure increases the level of mood improving and relaxing hormones like serotonin and endorphins

2. Can help fight sleeplessness by allowing increased production of melatonin in the body.

3. Healthy glow for the skin or those who suffer from acne.

4. Reduce symptoms of PMS and improve activity of pineal gland in the body.

Negative aspect: Excessive sunlight exposure may cause serious damage to several areas. The harmful UV radiation can cause burning of the cornea called photokeratitis or snow blindness as well as in excess may lead to cataracts and deterioration of eye, which may lead to the beginning of blindness. Excessive sunbathing can also cause severe damage to the skin cells of the face. The skin becomes thick, loses moisture and wrinkles faster, and starts sagging and develops spots and freckles, which reduces the beauty of the face.

Hives and blisters can be caused on the skin of the legs and arms.
One of the most severe and life threatening effects of UV radiation is the possibility of skin cancer and the more you expose yourself to the sun, the more higher the chances of developing carcinomas and the more dangerous melanomas. Nails can become weaker and tend to break or crack through exposure to the sun.

Positives aspects: The Sun Helps You Lose Weight - Now Proven!

There is evidence that sunbathing does help in vaporizing those calories of yours. Here's how it does it . To understand this, one needs to understand the close relationship between the body's metabolism and heat generation. The body tends to keeps its internal temperature, in spite of the external changes by a process called homeostasis and through various physical actions like sweating, shivering etc to bring up or bring down the temperature.

The body needs energy to sustain its vital activities and the minimum amount of energy needed to sustain life is called Basal Metabolic Rate. Also, the number of calories you will burn will be determined to a large extent by your age, body mass and health and how much of an active person. Remember we are not worried about calories we are concerned about liquefying the fat and removing it from your body.

The Many Health Benefits of Sweating produces many health benefits, including detoxification, improved skin tone, stress relief, and improved blood circulation. Kill viruses and bacteria that cannot survive in temperatures above 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Helps relieve stress and promote relaxation. Eccrine sweat glands, which are distributed over your entire body, An individual can secrete up to 41 of eccrine sweat in an hour. Leaving the skin moisturized.

A comprehensive healthy lifestyle program, which includes eating a healthy diet -- ideally organic and/or locally grown without pesticides -- exercising, and avoiding toxic exposures. Last but not least, if you're having trouble sleeping, sunbathing for 20min in the morning can be enormously beneficial, as it tends to make you relaxed and facilitates falling asleep quickly at the end of the night.

Rjaatt Replied:

Coconut - 4 electrolytes, anti-microbial fats, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, provides protection against UV raises, promotes collagen and contains probiotics

Gwen Replied:

What about supplemental Vitamin D for those of us who don't get much sunshine?

Lyn Replied:

Gwen, around here (I'm in the midwest US) you can not get vitamin D from the sun in the winter months so it is important to supplement. I think here it is from October to April, and it is something about the angle of the sun in the sky or the distance...I really don't remember, but I know that it is impossible to get vitamin D from the sun in the winter here. I think the farther away from the equator you are the less it is available from the sun. I'm sure you could look it up for your area but the short answer is...you should supplement if you don't get it from the sun because it is super important!

kc Replied:

I supplement with vitamin D, year round. I am in Sunny California, but work inside and don't get to enjoy the sunshine enough.

Rjaatt Replied:

Vitamin D And Sunlight: How To Know If Your Sun Exposure Is Producing Vitamin D
In order for the sun to stimulate your Vitamin D production, the sun needs to be at a minimum of about 50 degrees, or greater, above the horizon (90% would be directly overhead). Ideally, the sun should be as close to overhead as possible; the closer to overhead it is, the greater its potential for stimulating Vitamin D production (and the less time you have to be in the sun to produce a given amount of Vitamin D).

A good way to test if the sun is about 50 degrees above the horizon, or higher, is that your shadow should be slightly shorter than you are tall. If the shadow cast by your body is the same length, or longer, than your height you will not produce Vitamin D-even while your skin is exposed to direct sunlight. And this is under ideal conditions: clear skies without cloud cover or pollution.

What Determines How Much Ultraviolet Radiation Reaches the Earth's Surface? Ozone depletion is greater at higher latitudes, (toward the North and South Poles) and negligible at lower latitudes (between 30 degrees N and 30 degrees S). This means that decreases in ozone over Toronto are likely to be greater than those over Boston, and those over Boston greater than those over Los Angeles, while Miami will typically see the least ozone depletion of the four cities. However, cities at lower latitudes generally receive more sunlight because they are nearer the equator, so UV levels are higher even in the absence of ozone depletion. If ozone were to decrease at lower latitudes, southern cities would experience a greater absolute increase in UV-B than cities in the north for the same amount of ozone depletion.

90* degree
120* degree
150* degree
sunlight is spread over the minimum area. Also, the light only has to pass through the atmosphere directly above the surface. An increased angle between the sun and the surface--due to latitude, time of day, and season--spreads the same amount of energy over a wider area, and the sunlight passes through more atmosphere, diffusing the light. Therefore, UV-B radiation is stronger at the equator than the poles, stronger at noon than evening, and stronger in summer than winter.

Cloud Cover, Ozone in the Stratosphere, Oblique angle of sunlight reaching the surface, Aerosols, Water Depth,Elevation, Reflectivity of the Earth's Surface.

Rjaatt Replied:

P.s. Information: I can tell you that I have lost 4lbs in 2 days from "sunbathing and sweating out the fat" for one hour a day from 9am to 10am. This is faster then, walking and jogging 3miles, it is faster then spending 4hrs on the bike- off and on through out the day. All the Exercising I am doing compared to the Sunbathing? Sunbathing "Win's by a long-slide." On top of that my skin is soft from the oils, and I am getting a glow, I will be skinny by the time winder comes, I might add not to be un-thoughtful, but my stomach has decreased 4inches since Monday- (flatten). I have been also doing Vitamin E and baking-soda rubs, saran-wraps, I did them when I was a young teenager however it can make a mess on the floor so I step into the shower and scrub away its like Exfoliating and then Sealing it for 2 to 6hrs. I never realized what benefits this did for shaping the stomach, arms, thighs, and hips. But I am sweating out the fat and that is - what is important.

I learn so much from you Ladies, I enjoyed looking up all that information, I love information. I love all kinds of knowledge, and I love a person with a different aspect because that is how I learn the right information and the information I have no Clue on. Just because one article says Dr. bla bla said this and that does not make it right. It takes years to find these things out and every year they come up with new statistics, new data and new evidence to disclaim or to reclaim a theory. Having all of you challenge these theories is a gift to all.

Gwen Replied:

i read Michael Holick - The Vitamin D Solution - a couple of years ago and emailed the author. Incredibly he wrote back and told me how much to supplement with Vitamin D because there is no way I could ever get enough where I live (N E England).

It is a really good, readable book!

Rjaatt Replied:

Thanks Gwen I will read it, In California, we get so much sun it feels as if I can touch the Sun and the Moon and the stars.

jenny Replied:

Interesting, my daughter has just finished her PhD on Vitamin D supplementation.

She is a paediatrician and she says with the event of parents being obsessed by sun blocking their kids they get much less Vit D than we did as children.

Rjaatt Replied:

That is very true, I don't use sunblock, I know the dangers or HIDDEN DANGERS! Seizures are one of them it is linked. The one thing the dietician warned us of is that one cannot just use any sunscreen as it increases the chance of a break through seizure. sunscreen (Neutrogena) have been linked to seizures in young kids and some seniors.

Some Diets as these can be dangerous with outdoor activities while using sunscreens: low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet which puts the body into a metabolic state known as ketosis.

A seizure is a sudden, uncontrolled electrical disturbance in the brain. It can cause changes in your behavior, movements or feelings, and in levels of consciousness. If you have two or more seizures or a tendency to have recurrent seizures, you have epilepsy.

I have been living with this since I had my first child, after my 2nd child it got bad, by the time they became 7 and 9 it was a every day event stress kept triggering them. The Meds, would knock me out for days at a time sad to say. It was a rough time.

So What Triggered it! Sunscrean we found out many years later. (Bullfrog) is what I used~ on my kids and we did a lot of camping or RV living so my husband could find himself. LOL
Anyway once I stopped using sunscreen, I stopped getting sick.
AVOBENZONE active ingredient 3% ... symptoms and high toxic doses can cause seizures and comas. Anticipate seizures and treat if necessary .
HOMOSALATE active ingredient 15% ...the treatment of epilepsy and bipolar disorder.
OCTISALATE active ingredient 5% ... treatment of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (a disorder that causes seizures and developmental delays)(1% testosterone, octisalate) applied to the inner arm or axilla. 10 ...... Seizures, from 1982 to 1994. • Epilepsy ...
OCTOCRYLENE active ingredient 10% ... DEET toxicity has manifested as primarily neurotoxic symptoms, including tremor and seizures
OXYBENZONE active ingredient 6% ...That could increase the risk of side effects like skin allergy, hypertension, headaches and seizures, especially in children
ACACIA FARNESIANA EXTRACT. ...epilepsy, delirium and convulsion
ACRYLATES/ OCTYLACRYLAMIDE COPOLYMER. ...may cause an increase in seizures
ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF EXTRACT. extract of Aloe vera leaf powder on three acute and one chronic model of epilepsy.

And I Kept putting it on my kids thinking it was SAFE! The Scientists MAKE $$$$$$$$, while HUMANS (SUFFFFEEEERRRRR). Think twice next time you put sunscreen on the little ones. Put Hats to cover faces.

Temporary confusion
A staring spell
Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs
Loss of consciousness or awareness
Cognitive or emotional symptoms, such as fear, anxiety or deja vu

Over expose to Sun can inflict a seizures out of the blues.

This is what I use even for Tanning: It also helps you shed FATS from the body,

Coconut oil has a natural SPF of 4-5 and contains antioxidants that help protect the skin from harmful radiation from the sun. Natural sunscreen! Obviously that low amount of SPF isn't sufficient for a long day in the sun, so we add red raspberry seed oil and essential oils.

Rjaatt Replied:

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means it's stored in fatty tissue.

It's often known as the "sunshine vitamin," because your body can make vitamin D on its own after exposure to sunlight.
You're at risk of having a vitamin D deficiency if you're older than age 65, obese, or have dark skin.

A severe deficiency can lead to osteoporosis (a condition that causes bones to become weak and brittle) in adults, or rickets (a condition that causes softening and weakening of the bones) in kids.

This is how I learned about it by my DOCTOR: There's also some research that suggests vitamin D deficiency might be linked to other conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, {{{Alzheimer's, depression,}}}} and certain autoimmune diseases.

Vitamin D Warnings

Vitamin D could cause an allergic skin reaction. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before taking this supplement.

This vitamin may also affect your blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, your physician may need to monitor you while you're taking vitamin D.

Also, tell your doctor if you currently have, or have ever had, any of the following:

High or low blood pressure
Kidney problems and kidney stones
An immune disorder
Heart disease or other heart problem
Lung disorders
Thyroid problems
Liver disease
Frequent headaches
Stomach issues
Skin disorders
Musculoskeletal disorders

Vitamin D Toxicity

Although uncommon, excessive amounts of vitamin D in the body can lead to toxicity.

This usually happens if you take 40,000 international units (IU) or more of vitamin D per day for several months or longer. It can also happen after a very large, one-time dose. Vitamin D toxicity can lead to hypercalcemia (high levels of calcium in the blood). This condition can cause serious problems, such as kidney failure, abnormal heart rhythms, and coma.

Rjaatt Replied:

The fact, 87% of the sun's rays penetrate through clouds, fog and mist. The worst sunburns happen when you least expect them. UV rays (ultraviolet radiation) are emitted by the sun and are responsible for the change in our skin color. This results in creating a tan, a burn, or skin cancer from overexposure.

No Mention after a Massive Sandstorm, I don't go out on these days! Last night Massive Sand Storm the sand lingers in the air until it all settles down then you have to dust everything you just did the day before

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.