JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Day 3 100 Days of Weight Loss Revisited... Do it anyway...

Judy

Day 3: Do it anyway

I don't feel like exercising today! Does this sound familiar? Then what happens? Do you push yourself and exercise in spite of not feeling like it? Or do you give in and hang out on the couch because you don't feel like making the effort?

Right now, you may be solidly committed to your goals. But what happens when you don't feel like cooking healthy meals or following your diet plan? If you aren't careful, you can easily slide back from being committed to just interested.

Committed means do it anyway

You don't usually wait until you feel like going to work. You just go. The same thing is true for visiting your mother or changing dirty diapers. Because you consider these things to be important, you do them regardless of how you feel at the moment.

In the same way, you don't have to feel like working on your weight-loss plan to stick with your program. To improve your commitment, learn to focus on your actions, not just your feelings. On days you're not in the mood for exercising or eating right, tell yourself to do it anyway.

Then skip the leftover cake and eat your fruit instead. Get up off the couch and put on your workout shoes. If you're really committed to your goals, you'll make these choices no matter what, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. Each day, take a few steps that will move you forward, even if you don't feel like it. Remember that when you're truly committed, you do it anyway.

Here's a summary of the differences between people who are interested in their goals compared to those who are committed.

People who are interested in losing weight

1. Stick with it until something better comes along

2. Take action only if they "feel like" doing it

3. Need to see results in order to stay motivated

4. Blame people or circumstances for their struggles

5. Easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed to losing weight

1. Stick with their plans no matter what

2. Take action whether they feel like doing it or not

3. Assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow

4. Take responsibility for their own actions

5. Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks

Exercises

In your diet or exercise plan, identify a task you don't feel like doing, and then do it anyway!

Notice how it feels to accomplish a goal by taking a "no matter what" approach to it.

In your notebook, make a list of actions you plan to stick with today, regardless of how you feel at the moment.

Judy Replied:

I wish I had been willing to stand in the Deli meat counter line the other night at the store.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

This is one of my mantras

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.