JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

hulla hooping

Has anyone tried a fitness hoop? I bought one from walmart a couple of weeks ago and Im not sure how to calculate how many calories burned for a 30 minute session.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Hi Beth . I think mostly everyone here is into DVD's and fitbits,running . I have not read anything on blogs about it anyway. Have you looked it up online and maybe there will be something there for it. Good luck.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I have a fitness hula hoop, but I have no idea how many calories it burns. I have a bodybugg that I wear to calculate all my calories. You can probably google it online.

then Lyn Replied:

I found this...

Hey Hooping.org -
I've been thinking lately about the various claims out there about how many calories hooping burns - one sees anywhere between 300 and 800 (!?) per hour. The upper echelon of the scale just seems way out-there to me -- and what in the world are they basing it on? Any chance your detective skills and readers can get to the bottom of this for us all?
Love, Lara
Dear Lara,
How many calories an individual burns hula hooping will always be relative, but the scientific claim we stand behind is 100 calories in 10 minutes. Some using simple math have thus concluded 60 minutes equals 600 calories. This may be true in theory, and you can burn 600 calories doing many high impact aerobic exercises, but in reality it's unlikely. The initial energy burning spike begins to decrease after ten minutes. Whether you're sweating in an intensive hoop aerobics class or dreamily hoop dancing to Imogen Heap on a sunny day also plays a factor, as does your body weight and the weight of your hoop. That's why giving a range - 300 to 600 calories - is accurate and useful.
Hooping.org

I have one and I really like it. It is one of those things I tend to forget about, then I remember and do it a lot and then I forget again. Thanks for the reminder. LOL

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Thanks for all the info. I think I will go on the low end of the calorie burn for this. I guess the main thing is that I am moving and not sitting and I enjoy doing it.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

This is a great exercise for your waist. I never thought about it until my daughter-in-law said she would hula hoop during commercials when watching tv. So, I tried that - thankfully, I use the DVR to record many of my shows so I could fast-forward through the commercials when I got tired! (Just kidding.)
But seriously, if you go to the Exercise tracking section, there is a hula hoop option under the Wii games. I have used that before, so you could record the number of minutes you hula hoop, as if you were using the Wii (which I have done) and it will automatically track the calories burned for you. (9.6 cals. per minute, I believe - maybe more for the game's Super hula hoop challenge.)
I think I'll try that this weekend. Thanks for the encouragement!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Now I want a Hula hoop!

Shari (CE) Replied:

I have the 4lb hula hoop at home and my co-worker has a 5lb hula hoop at work. I would recommend the 4lb or less for beginners I have been doing it for a while and I love it I just log it as aerobic activity?

Cindy H. Replied:

I have an exercise hula hoop. It's actually fun and challenging. I've never bothered to figure out the calories ... biggest problem is finding where you can use it because an exercise hoop is bigger than just a regular kids hula hoop and weighted. I've whacked more stuff over down in our basement!

then Lyn Replied:

I laugh every time I use mine, it really is fun. As a kid I could hula hoop non stop and the thing would never fall, I could walk or talk or whatever. Now I have to really concentrate just to keep the thing up! I suppose that could have something to do with the fact that my waist now curves out where it used to curve in...lol

Ev Replied:

I've never been able to keep a hula hoop up. And, it's not like I don't have hip either. Guess i[m jsut not coordinated

Jynell Replied:

Mine gave me bruises on my hips!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Just got a 2.5 exercise hoop and I can keep it up. I will keep trying and count it as 9.6 calories burned a minute. The good news is what little I did I can feel in my stomach muscles.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Here's a link to the hooping.org that lyn mentions. Showing dancing with a hula hoop.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.