JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days Challenge, Restart Day 1, May 1, 2012

Jenn J

Day 1: I used to be that way...

You are so determined to make this program work. This time, you really want to stay on your weight-loss plan and reach your goal. But deep inside, you may be afraid you haven't changed at all and that you'll quit your program long before the 100 days are up.

Perhaps a tiny voice is reminding you of your past failures with dieting. In the beginning, you're always very excited and motivated. But after a few weeks, your enthusiasm drops, and without meaning to, you slip up.

Maybe you sneak an extra candy bar or a bowl of ice cream at the end of a bad day. Then you reason that, since you've already blown it, you can go ahead and eat more. Soon you get discouraged with your behavior and eventually you quit your diet completely, just like you always do.

Change your thinking

Stop right there! Your past does not determine your future. In fact, your previous failures have absolutely no effect on your ability to succeed now. Starting today, eliminate the belief that things always go a certain way or that you never stay with your goals. Whenever those doubts creep back in, immediately give yourself this new message:

I used to be that way, but now I'm different!

This powerful statement completely ignores whatever you did before and instead, it promises you can change your outcome entirely. Rather than being fearful that you'll repeat the past, build a new way of thinking.

Make up a new ending

Because now you're different, you can do anything. You can even create different endings for your old negative patterns. Suppose you've been worried because you "always gain your weight back." Come up with a new statement that describes what you can do to prevent this.

For example, you might say, "I used to give up on a diet after a few weeks. But now, I pull out my journal every day and use writing to keep myself on track."

When doubts creep in, remind yourself that now you handle life differently. Go ahead and invent entirely new outcomes for your goals, then remind yourself often about your ideas. Over time, these patterns will become permanent, and your dream of success will actually come true.

Jenn J Replied:

I used to think that I could only focus for a few days and make a lifetime change. Bu t now, I have several check points to help me stay focused on doing my reading, being aware of my eating, and doing my exercising.

I used to say to myself "I'm serious about weight loss this time." But now I say I'm focused on eating healthy and exercising to help my body be healthier.

I used to say "I fell off and ate some (fill in the blank)." But now I say, I made a choice to eat that, so how can I adjust the rest of my food choices.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I used to think that I could never get this weight off, but now I know I can do whatever I set my mind to.

I used to think I would only last a few days and then backslide. Now I know that I am able to say "no"

I used to be afraid of exercise. Now I am up at the butt crack of dawn working out in my makeshift garage gym.

Jenn J Replied:

That's awesome! Kriss keep going and post for the other days if you want. I will be adding days again tomorrow going forward.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Look at all these wonderful people who are really trying to make all these programs and groups so everyone can join in. For every year I visit it amazes me how many are group people and trying to invite others to join in. almost like in grade school. You have the leaders and then you have the followers then you have the outsiders and last the introverted people who stay to themselves and don't want to be bothered for nothing. But it took only ONE Courageous person to bring this together and it took them to keep trying year after year to bring everyone together.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.