JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Coconut oil

Jeanne- CE!

I bought some after looking over the Eat Clean Diet book again, and still haven't used it. Do any of you use it, and if so, how? Thank you!

Cherylee Replied:

I use coconut oil instead of olive oil often. I use it to stir fry

Lisa as Intended (CE) Replied:

I add it to my smoothies, hot cereal, use it instead of butter on whole grain toast, and saute with it. It has the highest smoke rate of any oil, as well as many benefits...one being aiding the liver to NOT absorb unhealthy fats. I use it whenever possible, and it even tastes good enough to take as a supplement just by the spoon, I've done a "raw" day and not cooked.

Cindy H. Replied:

I recently bought some, too. I'm beginning to use it for cooking instead of olive oil -- I've also tried it just as a supplement (not bad atall!).

But my question is where to store it? I know it doesn't have to be refrigerated -- but I did it anyway and of course it's hard then!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I use it like Lisa, on everything from toast, potatoes, steamed vegetables to cooking with it.

As for storing it, I leave mine on the counter because I use it for almost every meal. In the summer it is liquid and in the winter it goes hard. It tastes good. I love it! It is one thing I could not do without.

@Cindy: Refrigeration is not necessary. Just store it in a dark cool place. I'm using it fast enough that I don't have a concern of it going rancid. It will be solid at room temps, however melts at 76*.

Everyone, just make sure you get an organic, extra virgin - raw/unrefined, cold-expellar pressed coconut oil. The more popular this oil is becoming, many brands that are not organic the coconuts are genetically modified, and the oil has been unnaturally deordorized and bleached. The brand I really prefer at this time is Nutiva.

Cindy H. Replied:

Last night I used coconut oil to cook my egg/feta/spinach scramble -- OMG -- so good! Really added a lovely taste the combo -- yum!

And SOooooo good for you, too, C! Keep experimenting!

Diane Replied:

I bought some...It is awesome. I love it... I found a little goes a long way.

Diane Replied:

I bought some...It is awesome. I love it... I found a little goes a long way.

DawnAnn Replied:

Where did you find it? I heard on Dr Oz that it is a wonderful hair conditioner and I haven't been able to find it.

I get mine at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

Michelle Replied:

Thanks Jeanne for asking - I'm so glad I came across this thread - twice now i have had the coconut oil in my hands but put it back on the shelf because it just reminded me of my body lotion and the look of it turned me off a bit. i will go back to the health food store and get it now that I have some confirmation on how to incorporate it in my cooking and diet.
thanks a gain

Denise Replied:

I use Coconut Oil too and like it. I mentioned it to my daughter and she was not impressed at first. Now, she doesn't hesitate to use it. Northern Girl, your comment got me to thinking. I wonder what it would be like serving a duo-purpose. A cooking "oil" and a hand cream "oil". Surely there are benefits to the latter, yes? I might have to try that. Of course, I could always eat the food I cooked in the oil with my hands....

Jilly Replied:

I have coconut oil & use it occasionally but I just bought Coconut Butter... OMG, yummy! Of course I LOVE coconut so I am biased. It is basically the whole coconut meat all blended-up together. It's calories are similar to Peanut Butter but in those 2 TBSP you get 5 grams of fiber! I put it on my oatmeal & it melted on there. I could just eat it by the spoonful...

Joan Replied:

I use coconut oil all the time - love it!
@Jilly - I found Coconut Manna, which is the same as Coconut Butter, and it is the best thing ever. Sometimes I just take the lid off to smell it! If anyone likes coconut and hasn't tried this stuff yet, you need to - mmmmm yummy!

Cindy H. Replied:

My first response on this post was 107 days ago! Holy smokes, I now use coconut oil for nearly all cooking! LOVE it!

@Denise: Dr. Oz had a show a week or two ago that touted this exact thing of duo purpose.

I love coconut oil! It is one of THE healthiest oils, and actually works in the liver to help prevent the absorption of unhealthy fats, so beware of some commercial weight loss programs focusing on saturated-fat-whatever about it, and use your own discernment. It's high smoke rate is perfect for cooking without becoming toxic, however, as I mentioned in a comment before, go for the organic, extra virgin - raw/unrefined, cold-expellar pressed coconut oil, and to receive the greatest benefits of this healthy fat, eat it raw or melted over a heated food.

Pinkdream Replied:

My husband now uses this because the doctor said that it helps with memory retention. He is very worried about getting Alzheimer (sp?) as it runs in his family. He mixes it with his oatmeal so far. Great point Lisa you need the pure coconut oil and really need to read the labels on it.

@Pink: I hadn't heard specifically about the "memory retention", though I do know that the brain LOVES and thrives on healthy fats/omega 3's.

For your husband's concern, something additional he may restrict in his diet is exposure to aluminum, with cooking and drinks in aluminum can containers, such as sodas, and especially Diet Soda or anything artificially sweetened. These have been linked to Alzheimers, and a recent discovery reported in brain health is that in the metabolization of aspartame (Splenda, etc.) the body creates formaldehyde!!! Which damages the brain (as well as other organs), and now being linked to possibly Parkinsons and increase in other more "new age" diseases since its introduction. Makes me wonder how this stuff can STILL be on the market...it was the most highly contested "food" in history to pass FDA. I guess my point is...eat coconut oil instead, lol!

Pinkdream Replied:

Thank you!

Jilly Replied:

@Pink... He might like the Coconut Butter... It still has all the fat but the fiber & nutrition as well! I just had it on a piece of toast & I thought it was delicious!

I am worried about Alzheimers as well... Haven't really looked into natural helps/cures but unfortunately while I was growing up my breakfast consisted of Diet Soda & a vitamin... Later my cousin told me that they found Aspartame had crossed the blood-brain barrier (apparently not much is able to cross this barrier) in cadavers. I hope that I am not doomed...

Pinkdream Replied:

Thanks Jilly for the idea.

Michelle Replied:

I am sooo going to the store to get some today -my brain could use all the help it can get!!!!

Denise Replied:

Apparently, leaving coconut oil in the pan with the heat on unattended can cause a pan fire. YIKES!

@Jilly: I also read this; you stated this so much better detail than I did in my previous comment. The report I read said that scientist found an unusual layer of film in the brain matter and when tested were 'shocked' when testing revealed is was aspartame.

...and it is STILL on the market shelves and legally infused in many foods. Keep spreading the info to others..it's the only way we'll create change in a very greedy diet market.

Melinda Replied:

I have some coconut oil and have just recently started using it to stir fry, or oil grill grates before grilling.

I'm wondering if any of you who use coconut oil frequently for some time have had your bad cholesterol tested lately. Have you seen a difference ? Would be interesting to know, as not everyone is in agreement yet on the benefits.

Tami Replied:

What about coconut milk?

I really like coconut milk, in fact, I often use a combo of coconut milk and almond milk on my morning oats, and love it! Although, I believe the greater benefits come from the oil, especially since it is less processed than the milk if you get the organic raw or expellar pressed variety.

Great article on the benefits of coconut oil, including for hair, skin, muscles, weight loss and metabolism.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I thought this was worth bringing back to the top. I tend to go in spurts with some of these great ideas and then forget about them for a while, so here this is for reconsideration!

Shirley Replied:

Thanks, Jeanne. I would have missed this totally if it had not been brought to the top.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Yes, I love coconut oil, and am an advocate of healthy fats in my plan.

It's fun to go back and look at old posts and bump them back to the top. We have shared a lot of great wellness information! I love when the message boards are active, but I am involved in many things that are worthy of my time, and as a result, check in here and there each day. I am a long time member here, and even though I have been at goal weight range since 2010, I am always working on wellness in all areas. I never stop listening, learning, and making adjustments. This site has really been a huge help in my wellness journey!

Beth Replied:

Just out of curiosity, I took the number 17,615 and divided it by 365, it turns out to be 48.5 years!

Anyway, I need to incorporate coconut oil back into my life.
It does smell so delicious.

Gwen Replied:

@Beth, the numbers at the top of this post are hilarious. Well spotted!

Lyn Replied:

That happened a long time ago when they did an update or changed something, they explained it but I forget why it is.

Beth Replied:

@Gwen, Thanks!

@Lyn, Many years ago, I took computer classes (remember when the year 2000 was going to shut down the world? ) I just remember enough to know that one misplaced decimal or comma in a program will give crazy results.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.