JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Yoga dvds?

kc

On another message Sandy asked about exercies for those of us who are less than perfect. I know that at 58, overweight, and with arthritis in my neck, shoulders... I too struggle with exercise. I was going to go to some yoga classes but was too intimidated to follow through with them. Rhonda, suggested yoga dvds by Peggy Cappy that look doable to me. Does anyone else have a favorite yoga dvd for the "less than perfect" before I hit amazon?

then Lyn Replied:

At Barnes and Noble today I saw a yoga dvd for people with bad knees...I didn't stop to look closely but maybe there were others as well. Sorry, I don't remember the name of it but maybe check their website.
Also, I found in the yoga classes I have attended they are not judgmental of the "less than perfect" but are able to help you out with poses that work for your specific needs. I was hesitant to go at first too but then realized that everybody else is busy working on themselves so they weren't paying attention to me, but the teacher gave individual instruction to each person.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I agree with Lyn - that is how it is at my yoga studio too. No one is the least bit judgemental - it's just not what yoga is about - however, my Peggy Cappy yoga dvds are good option if you prefer to do it on your own in privacy until you feel more comfortable. She is great at giving several options on a posture and the postures are basics and gentle. I appreciated her efforts in the dvds - she's very good.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

It might be worth it to invest in a couple of private yoga sessions (like personal training) at your local gym or even a community rec center. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and he had suggested that for me. It was well worth it to me because the instructor knew my strengths as well as my limitations, and personally guided me to what was right for my body. I then was able to comfortably take classes and invest in some videos without the fear of harming myself with an incorrect posture. At my gym, the instructors are wonderful and are very open to participants speaking with them before or after class; they can suggest modifications. And like everyone said, yoga is so non-judgemental. People wobble, shake and tip over all the time! We are all less than perfect but we can do the best we can with what we have and improve from there.

Sandy Replied:

I LOVE my yoga on the wii. It is so nice. I have wii fit plus so I set up a routine that I do everyday and there isn't all the talking & stuff in between the poses so it goes quicker. I do it every morning and find that it really helps my arthritus. I am actually improving on my strength & stability too.

kc Replied:

Bump.

kc Replied:

Is anyone up to a Yoga challenge? If so any suggestions on how to work it with a User Competition? Any suggestions on a minimum requirement?

Lin Replied:

I have never given yoga an honest try - I am wondering if I should just go for it and longer than 2 times in a row.

kc Replied:

I am with you Lin. I have not made it through a week in 30 some years! I want to commit to short morning and evening routines. Then, gradually increase time. I have 5+ DVDs, some still in their plastic wrappers. Peggy Cappy 3 DVD set is still in the wrapper. I am going to get it unwrapped today and at least "watch" one of them to see if I think I can do it. I am going to prove you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Please join me Lin!

kc Replied:

You can check out Peggy Cappy on YouTube!

Lin Replied:

KC- could you possibly be my twin separated at birth? -- I have told my sister if she ever gets a phone call that I have been in a terrible accident and might not live, do not come see me -- instead go to my house and destroy my diet books/exercise collection - because if my husband ever found all of them stuck in various places, he would be amazed that I weighed over 80 pounds

kc Replied:

@ Lin, You crack me up! I have unwrapped the Peggy Cappy set. Step one is done! Now on to step 2, Insert dvd into player! I believe baby steps are always best.

Lin Replied:

Well now, I don't have that one -- Off to Wal-mart right?

kc Replied:

@Lin, amazon prime. Have it by Friday without leaving you house.

kc Replied:

Okay, I did the Peggy Cappy Yoga for the Rest of Us. I did the very modified movements and REALLY liked it. My husband did it with me. My only concern is that it took longer than I would like it to. I may do half of it in the am (sitting part) and the other portion in the evening (standing part). It wasn't long, but I want to be able to fit it into a working day easily.

Day 1
Day 2:

Cindy H. Replied:

Good job!

Lin Replied:

Goooo KC

Amber Replied:

Here is a great link for yoga videos. They have every style, and every level. Plus it's a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of videos. Just thought I would share!

Lin Replied:

Thank you Amber

Colleen Replied:

I, too, would like to do yoga but being 59, overweight, arthritis & degenerative lower back issues I have stayed away from my daughter's yoga class. BUT, I did get a dvd called CHAIR AEROBICS FOR EVERYONE--CHAIR YOGA by Heather Garrell. It is put out by EG Productions & it works for me. Go to: www.chairaerobics.com

kc Replied:

@Amber, Thank you for the awesome link.
@Colleen, that is one I will have to check out.
So far the Peggy Cappy DVD Yoga for the Rest of Us is going well. I am getting a little dizzy while doing it but I think it is the learning curve. I can not seem to get the moves, postures, and breathing right. I am watching, listening, and concentrating so hard on the movements that I forget to breath! LOL

Colleen Replied:

I will check Peggy Cappy's out, too! Thanks

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.