JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Day Challenge Bunch - Day 6: Protecting Your Program

Tami

No one will ever care as much about your diet plan as you. So it's your job to prevent people or events from pulling you off track. Instead of depending on others to help you be successful with your diet, make a commitment that you will protect your program at all costs!

Watch for ways to recognize and avoid situations that might cause you to weaken. Rather than assume you'll be able to resist your mom's apple pie or the potluck casseroles at work, don't put yourself in the situation where you'll have to test your willpower.

"Not just yet..."

Here's a great way to protect yourself when you're around other people. Anytime you feel pressured to eat something, you can sidestep the food pusher by hinting that you'll eat later. Whenever someone offers you food, respond by saying, "Not just yet; I'm going to wait a little while."

If you're asked again, simply repeat this phrase or another variation of it such as, "Thanks, but I'll still wait a little bit." Saying "not just yet" gives you a gracious way to handle being pushed to eat when you don't want to. Because this magic phrase convinces people you'll eat eventually, they'll leave you alone for the moment.

When you're invited to take seconds or eat dessert, make it sound like you'll have some later, then quietly slip away from the table. Anytime someone encourages you to eat, such as at baby showers, birthday parties or other social gatherings, you can use the "not just yet" line again and again. Even if you skip food during the entire event, you'll find that most people never notice you didn't eat.

Don't discuss your "diet"

Often it's best to avoid getting caught up in conversations about dieting and weight loss. When people ask how you're losing weight, simply tell them you're following a healthy eating program. You can even respond to their questions by saying, "My weight-loss counselor recommends that we don't discuss the program because talking about food makes us want to eat."

Finally, protect your program during long, empty times such as evenings or weekends when it's easy to start looking for food. Stay occupied by planning activities or pulling out some good books. When you're tempted to give in and eat, recite the words, "I must protect my program at all costs!"

TODAY'S TASK: Do at least one thing today that reinforces your determination to protect your program at all costs.

Tami Replied:

The weight I have chosen (125) is sort of mid-lower range of the weight chart for my height. It is a weight that is 7 pounds above where I was in my early 30's. I felt really good at 118 pounds, but don't think I could ever get there again. The people at church are very familar with my efforts to lose weight and continually compliment me, which is great. But now I am starting to get comments like: How much more are you planning to lose, I think you should stop - you look perfect now. Are you sure that this is healthy? Believe me...I have no illusions. And, I have no intention of stopping until I feel I'm where I need to be. If I get to 135-130 and feel good at that weight, I might readjust my end goal. But for now, I'm still aiming high.

So I think I will take Linda's advice and not discuss my efforts with anyone (at church anyway).

Shirley Replied:

It's funny but I was thinking of this particular lesson a few days ago and I haven't had my 100 days book out in a while. What dawned on me was that "protecting my program "equates to taking care of myself. Often, esp recently I'm quick to dismiss my needs (NOT ordering spinach dip/nachos on the dinner for two menu at Applebee's at 10 pm) as not that important. I hear myself say, "It doesn't really matter." My neighbor kindly reminded me that it's not about losing weight to look good. It's about my health. It's about choosing LIFE. I am a diabetic and already take blood pressure meds...do I need more convincing? When I do what I need to do for me, (making healthy choices), I'm a totally different person and have a postive attitude about myself and the world around me. When I choose "junk" I feel like junk. I can no longer afford to do that to myself. I'm trying to learn to care for me, like I care for others and that's new. I will look out for "Shirley" today and choose foods that are life-giving for her. Thanks for today's lesson!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Todays theme about "protecting your program" hit close to home for me too. At work I'm also getting-You've lost enough- you're getting too thin, etc and I'm still in the overweight BMI. I guess people see such a big difference in losing 125 pounds in 2 years but I know in my heart of hearts I'm still overweight. So I will persevere down to my goal of 150!! Thanks for the lesson!!

Sharon VA Replied:

I use "not just yet" frequently. It is especially handy with family. I avoid talking about dieting to most folks just to avoid getting unwanted advice. I know what works for me, and if I have a question or need advice I come to my Sydsters.

Karen Replied:

I usually just say, I will have some in a bit. Thanks! and let it go at that.

It's weird for me, when people say to me how much more are you going to lose and I say 40 pounds I will hear "you don't need to lose that much"...usually, I just say, I still have an "obese" bmi, when I lose the rest I will be a healthy weight. Even that is probably too much information.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I used "not just yet" on July 4th. We were at a BBQ with my husband's family, and I played with the kids while all the adults were eating. It worked great for me, and when I finally did eat, I didn't overdo it! It felt really good afterward, and I still had energy at night to walk 4 miles!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I am not sure if today's lesson is going to be hard to tell people "not just yet" at gatherings...I think it will be harder for me to convince myself....."not just yet" every evening! That is my weakest time of day...when the kids go to sleep and I relax and watch one of my favorite shows. But from now on....I am really going to try telling myself..."not just yet", when I run to the kitchen for something after dinner.

Kate Replied:

I went to the barbecue reunion at Lisa's this afternoon, and I'm so elated that I was able to stay completely on track. I had decided before hand that I was going to have one smaller hamburger and bun with only lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on it, but absolutely no chips, macaroni or potato salad, nor any dessert. The only thing I hadn't planned on being available was the fresh grilled corn on the cob. I love corn on the cob "swimming" in real butter, but I stuck to my program and just said no to it too. What I did fill-up on was the fresh fruit salad that Lisa had put together for her friend, Karen, who unbeknownst to me was on a "diet" too. We all had a great time visiting and reminiscing, and best of all I now feel great about finally being able to stay completely on track during a social event. Yay me!

Tami Replied:

Good work Kate!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Yay Kate- great job!!

Pinkdream Replied:

Way to go Kate!!!

Protecting your program...means to me that I am taking care of me with no excuses to get off program...

this one hits home as I don't like to talk about being on a diet...it is just a lifestyle change for me...if they ask I just say I have a ways to go...thanks for the compliment...I always use the in a little bit at partys...and really if i just put a dab of food on a plate they all think I have I have ate...works for me.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.