JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Beck Book Review, Chapter 1

Karen

Beck Diet Solution

Day 1
The Key to Success

Ok, I realize I will have a problem with the word "diet' in this book; henceforth, the words "diet' and "lifestyle change' will be synonymous. The goal and key to success is to "end the weight loss-regain cycle permanently'.

We will work on changing the way we think about all of this. THAT is the key.

To think like a thin person, we have to change the thoughts that sabotage our efforts, like:

-I know I shouldn't eat this, but I don't care.
-It's ok if I eat this just one time.
-I'm upset. I have to eat.
-This is hard. I don't want to keep dieting.
(There are several others listed, but those are the ones that resonated with me. Please list the ones that resonate with you.)

What Beck does is help you learn to "talk back' to your sabotaging thoughts, and replace them with positive actions.

She says that any REASONABLE diet will work for you if you have the right mindset. Most of the problem is between OUR EARS'¦our mind.

This program is based on cognitive therapy (like the 100 days book). I have glanced ahead and the days ahead involve activities that should really help. Cognitive therapy helps you identify your sabotaging thinking and effectively respond to it, so you feel better and can behave in helpful ways.

Cognitive therapy teaches people how to solve problems, and we have lots of problems. To successfully lose weight and keep it off, you need to solve these kinds of practical problems. We also need to solve psychological problems such as:
-feeling overwhelmed by the requirements of your diet
-feeling deprived
-feeling discouraged when you don't lose weight consistently or lose as much as hoped
-feeling stressed by other life problems (this is a biggie for me, personally)

The new you'"weight loss has a predictable cycle: first week or two, it's relatively easy. Then things likely become more difficult. Cravings set in or intensify. Life intervenes. Your schedule gets busy. You feel emotionally stressed. Other reasons come along to stray from your diet. If we will practice the skills in this program, we will do fine.

Instead of saying, "I wish I could eat this' and feeling sad, or "its unfair that I can't eat this' and feeling unhappy, you'll automatically say: "I'm so glad I am not eating that. " At some point, you'll shift from "I hate depriving myself' to "I'm happy I didn't overeat'.

The book is ordered up a day at a time. A principle at a time. I will review Day 2 on Sunday, and for those ordering the book we will start Day 3 on Monday, the 3rd.

Please choose a day or two to review and list them. The list of the chapters can be seen on amazon.com if you don't have your book already. I will do the first three days, and then pick up the others as needed.

Please share your thoughts.
What did this chapter bring to light for you?
What did you learn?
What are you skeptical about?
What do you hope to get out of the book and the principles?

I look forward to our little group sharing this book and its principles.

kc Replied:

I really like this book so far. The introduction has helped me to realize I can retrain my brain chatter to help reinforce my good choices rather than tear myself down. It will be a lot of work. I know I need to plan at least a day ahead for what I am going to eat. That is a part of SYD I have never used, but with the New Year and book clubs to keep me focused and refocused I will! I am willing to practice what I will say to myself in certain situation so that when they occur it will become automatic and positively impact my life.
I can't wait to change my "inaccurate, unhelpful thinking in order to feel better emotionally and behave in more productive ways…" (pg. 20)
I can't wait "to change my thinking from", this is soooo hard and I am getting nowhere, "to I can start again right this moment"!!!!(pg. 22)
Thank you Karen for getting this started! Thank you Cindy, for writing about your response to the Beck Diet Solution on your blog.

Cindy H. Replied:

What I really liked in the first chapter was how she said "If you just keep practicing the skills described in this program, you'll do fine. Dieting will become easier."

Eileen Replied:

Although I'm not reading the book, I plan on dropping in to read summaries and comments. I like "lifestyle" vs "diet". I have stopped "dieting" period. I look forward to reading this discussion. Thanks

Sharon VA Replied:

As with Eileen, I do not have the book, but will read the summaries and comments.
The idea of getting in the habit of replacing negative thoughts with positive statements sounds good.
What I am skeptical about is my own track record of starting out motivated, and losing steam over the long haul. I hope to improve on that.

Jilly Replied:

This past year I started by changing my thinking on certain things.... I told myself that sugar was poison (for me it is). Why would I want to ingest poison? I also remember telling myself (after I decided to quit sugar but hadn't yet broken my habit) as I was reaching for a cookie, "that eating that cookie was not going to get me to where I wanted to be weight-wise & healthwise." I didn't want to say, "I can't have that" b/c I could, I had to tell myself "I choose not to eat that." I really had to change some of my thinking...

It is still sometimes a struggle dealing with self-sabotaging thoughts but I am getting better. Sometimes you also have to "trick" yourself. Come up with some things that might help you and even if you don't believe them, tell them to yourself. They might just stick & help you go where you want to go!

I don't have the book (& will try not to pipe in too much unless I get it) but I too am looking forward to reading your comments.

Karen Replied:

Jump in any time, Jilly. We are discussing the book, but feel free to jump in, ok?

Cindy W Replied:

I like that it will teach how to talk back to my sabotaging thoughts. I am looking forward to being a new me.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I just began this book today, Jan 4. This First Chapter gives me hope that I can learn how to stop sabotaging myself, teach me how to get out of my own way... knowing I am my own worse enemy. I found myself connected with the chapter and I see hope that I can lose the weight permanently and keep it off, I just have to learn to think differently than I do, no easy task I'm sure, but they say the first step to solving the problem is knowing there is a problem too solve.

Karen Replied:

I'm hoping it will help us all. Give us some new tools in our arsenal to use to battle these pounds away, and change our mindset, which will help us keep them off.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I am waiting for my book to arrive. This is sounding like something I really need. I am good at sabotaging myself..

Karen Replied:

Deb, just go ahead and join in each day, ok? We have six whole weeks to work on this! Glad you're here. We are on Chapter 4 today...go ahead and read all the days as they come and maybe pick right up with us as they come until your book arrives.

Phoenix Replied:

What did this chapter bring to light for you? -how much I appreciated and got out of the 100 Days of Weight Loss because it too helps you change your thinking. I'm looking forward to the rest of this book.
What did you learn? - that it's all about how you think about things.
What are you skeptical about? - the planning. I don't plan my meals unless I'm going to be eating out of the home. Then I do some serious plan ahead thinking. I enjoy cooking whatever I feel like at the moment with the good food I have on hand. I guess I do plan ahead in the sense that I DO have clean foods in the house.
What do you hope to get out of the book and the principles? - new ways of thinking and reinforcement for what I know is right. I'm excited!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Guess this is a Book Club! GREAT GOING PEOPLE!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.