JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

YBBN CHAPTER 5, PART 4 - BEST BODY MOVES

Lisa as Intended (CE)

Summary of Chapter 5 BEST BODY FITNESS: BEST BODY MOVES
(pages 98-132)

This section of Chapter 5 includes weight bearing moves for all body parts, along with photos and descriptions and instructions to perform the moves.

It is suggested that whether you are working out at home or a gym, to choose 3 moves per muscle group section for your first workout routine, then switch it up after 3 weeks to keep challenging your muscles and to prevent boredom.

Remember earlier in the chapter to do each move 3 times (sets) with 12 repetitions (reps), resting 2-3 minutes between sets, and with a weight that the muscle is taken to exhaustion on the 12th rep.

Below is the entire listing of the YBBN MOVES, should you wish to copy them into your SYD exercise tracker or workout journal. In the book a gym bag icon denotes exercises for gym; a house icon denotes exercises for HOME. For this post, since "home is where the heart is", I'm using the after each exercise that can be done at home with a basic set of barbells. A weight bench is recommended on some.

ABDOMINALS
Reverse Bench Crunch
Oblique Crunch
Bench Crunch
Bench Knee Tuck
Roman Chair Sit-up
Twist- Torso Rotation
Hanging Leg Raise
Hanging Leg Raise with Twist
Toes to Ceiling
Kneeling Pully Crunch

SHOULDERS
Dumbbell Press
Bent-Over Lateral Raise
Facedown Incline Lateral Raise
Incline Lateral Dumbell Raise
Lateral Raise
Seated Press Behind Neck
Lying Dumbbell Side Raise
Standing Barbell Upright Row
Seated Barbell Press

LATS
Regular Deadlift
Bent-Over Dumbbell Row
Alternate Dumbbell Row
Single Dumbbell Pullover on Bench
Single-Arm Dumbbell Row
Weight-Assisted Pull-Up
Wide-Grip Chin-Ups
Seated Low Pulley Row
Bent-Over Barbell Row
Lat Machine Pull-Downs

TRICEPS
Triceps Reverse Dip
Lying Triceps Extension
Supine Single Arm Across Chest Tricips Extention
Single Arm Triceps Extension
Standing Single Dumbbell Triceps Extension
Triceps Kickback
Skullcrusher
Triceps Press-Down

BICEPS
Incline Dumbbell Curl
Seated Dumbbell Curl
Standing Dumbbell Curl
Preacher Bench Curl
Seated Concentration Curl
Standing Hammer Curl
Standing Barbbell Curl
Single-Arm Low Pulley Curl
Wide-Grip Barbell Curl
Bent-Over Close-Grip Barbell Curl

CALVES
Standing Machine Calf Raise
Single-Leg Calf Raise
Standing calf Raise with Dumbbell
Seated Calf Raise
Plate-Loaded Leg Press Calf Raise

UPPER LEGS
Single Leg Squat
Squat Without Weight
Lunge
Leg curl
Pli'e Squat with Dumbbell
Front Squat on Smith Machine
Plate-Loaded Press
Adductor
Abductor
Barbell Back Squat
Machine Leg Extension

CHEST
Smith Machine Wide-Grip Bench Press
Floor Dips
Supine Dumbbell Bench Press
Straight-Arm Pullover
Round the World
Supine Dumbbell Fly
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Barbell Bench Press
Crossover Pulley
Incline Fly

GLUTES
Facedown Leg Raise
Prone Hyperextension
Prone Hyperextension with Weight
Lunge
Stiff-Leg Deadlift
Kneeling Cable Kickback
Leg Raise to Rear
Standing Cable Kickback
Butt Machine Kickback
Supine Hip Raise

I know this list can seem intimidating, however, just start small with a few moves 3-4 times a week for the next 3 weeks. It can feel awkward at first, however, your muscles are quick to train and soon you'll see results in agility and form! Lisa

For the purpose of replying to this post: What are your positive feelings or inspirations for beginning a weight lifting program? What are your fears/hesitations/mind blocks?

Lisa as Intended (CE) Replied:

I've been doing a weight program since March when I joined the gym, however, my main focus there has been cardio. Since starting YBBN I have refocused to concentrate more on weight lifting and doing my cardio in the mornings. I can tell a difference in just 2 weeks and that is exciting to me!

I'm not fearful of anything...though I hesitate to move from the machines to free weights and dumbbells, just because it requires more focus and concentration...BUT "where attention goes, energy follows" and so I can see how the dumbbells can have an even stronger influence on muscle building. I think I may request another appointment with a trainer at the gym to walk me through the above free weight moves, just to be sure I'm doing it correctly, and familiarity always eases any anxiety that may crop up.

I plan to enter all the exercises of my choice into the SYD Tracker favorites with a "BBN" before it so I can keep it separate from other exercises and for easy access.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Thank You Lisa....you're putting so much time/inner-gee into all these post...you are so very much appreciated!!!

I'd have to look back on my calendar but I'm guessing it was about 2 months in that I started various forms of strength training....began with pilates both machine and dvd with 'stretchy ribbon' and yoga then soon after add free weights with Jillian Michaels....I did this in addition to my cardio workouts.
I remember thinking that even though I wouldn't be able to 'see' any muscle-I wanted to begin building the muscle so that as the 'fluffy' melted away .....viola...I would see the muscle definition.

I'm so glad I did.....have a ways to go....but I can see some definition and even where it's not that visible...I can feel it and I love that...I love feeling strong.

I enjoy continually finding a variety of ways for both strength training and cardio....keeps me from getting bored as well as 'confusing' my body....I love exercise!!! I don't always want to do it, but once I get started I absolutely love it!!

Shari (CE) Replied:

Today was my 3rd strength training workout. I am following along with the Eat Clean 30 minute workout DVD. I am up to 3 sets of 12 reps. I am feeling the burn. My plan is to do strength training on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and then rest 2 days. I will also continue to do 4-5 days of cardio. So far I'm loving it

Lisa as Intended (CE) Replied:

I am just reveling in all of your excitement and successes Ladies. I'm excited for FOR YOU!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I've done 3 strength training sessions on my bowflex. I'm committed to it, however I admit I still hate it and it's far too early to notice any results at this point.

Shannon Replied:

I've been following Tosca's recommended 2 days on/1 day off schedule. I find it very do-able and I have been able to commit to it fully! I've been on the schedule for 10 days and hope to see some results by month's end ... or at least by November 12 (my mini-goal to fit more comfortably in my jeans for the last Jeans Day at work!)

Cindy H. Replied:

I know I need to add in more ab work ... I like doing lifts for the upper body best.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.