JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Day 22 - Multitask With Food

Day 22: Welcome everyone . . . its "Multitask With Food" day!

"To eat with awareness, you have to pay attention to what's in front of you. But that doesn't mean you can't focus on other things as well.
Remember that you're eating

You don't have to completely avoid doing anything else in order to stay conscious around food. But you do have to pay attention to your actions. If you're doing other activities at the same time, remind yourself that you are eating and stay aware of what you put in your mouth.

If you choose to eat while you're watching movies or TV, just don't become oblivious to your food. Instead, learn to divide your attention between the screen and your plate.

Awareness training

Choose a meal, snack, or even a piece of fruit, and then sit down with it on a plate in front of you. Study the food for a minute or two. Breathe in the smell, observe the colors, and notice the patterns in the food. Then take a bite, paying attention to the flavor, the texture, and the way it feels in your mouth. Chew it slowly, and let yourself fully enjoy the experience of eating. Now look for ways to challenge your awareness."

Do you multitask with food and are you able to stay aware?

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Hmm . . . don't know about this lesson. I find it tough in some circumstances. If I'm seated at a table, I have no problem staying aware of what I'm eating ~ even with distractions and conversation ~ but in front of the television or while I'm reading is another story. I just can't appreciate whatever I'm eating like I think I should be ~ hey, as long as you're taking in the calories, they should be acknowledged, right? Not popcorn in front of you one second and the next time you look down -poof- there's an empty bowl.
I thought this lesson did tie in so nicely with yesterdays. Awareness. Focus. Making your food really COUNT ~ not only for its nutritional value but also in taste, texture and having a little bit of reverence/respect/appreciation for it (its not just something to scarf-down unaware, it nourishes you and gives your body the strength it needs to get you through your day).

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

This seems to contradict the day before's message. I often eat w/tv; it's a break from other pressures and feels o.k.; not overeating. As always, different strokes for different folks. T.V. pun intended.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

A agree, JenJen, I find that eating while watching the tv has numerous negatives - when you are eating dinner is a great time to spend with the family. i think this one is more about life and happiness. I personally am rather against eating (especially dinner) while watching tv, but i know this is a personal preference and may not suit everyone. But I know that if you eat at the dinner table with your family or friends and use this time to talk to one another, then this time talking and listening will force you to eat slower, and, yes, be more aware of what it is that you are eating.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

oops sorry jenjen, i just realised i may have misinterpreted what you said!
sorry =)
like you said, different strokes.......

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

That's o.k. Hanah, I have mixed feelings about it!!!

Karen Replied:

I am not good at multitasking and savoring food. I guess I have a one track mind. I would rather enjoy my food without other things getting in the way, and then do my other tasks. Just my thoughts.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Yup I find this lesson does tie into yesterday's - I knew I ate my breakfast this morning while reading this post (lol) That is really the only time of the day I can honestly say I am not at our kitchen table eating with eithers and get distracted easily. Thx for the summary this morning

Brenda Replied:

I am always eating while multitasking it seems. The only time I am able to really enjoy the food is when Ricard and I go out to eat and it's just him and me sitting at the table, no kids, no TV, nothing to read.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I'm working on doing NOTHING else while eating...especially at lunch. Dinner not so much...or breakfast. I drive while i eat my breakfast!! (sorry). I'd like to work on dinner mindful eating this week

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.