JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Day 1 -- Welcome!

Day 1: Welcome everyone . . . let's get started . . .

First, let me thank Jenny ~ OrganicJenny ~ for getting this started, Karen ~ the chili pepper ~ for helping steer the way, and everyone who agreed to do summaries (and a big thank you to everyone who contributes by posting).

Summary: Day 1 focuses on what I think is at the core of this program – changing your thinking.

"Your past does not determine your future. In fact, your previous failures have absolutely no effect on your ability to succeed now. Starting today, eliminate the belief that things always go a certain way or that you never stay with your goals. Whenever those doubts creep back in, immediately give yourself this new message:

I used to be that way, but now I'm different!"

It's so important to recognize that things are different this time. Joining this site, using its resources, posting, and asking for help/support/advice from others on the site -- all these things indicate a shift to a new way of thinking. So if you're here, you're already doing things differently!

Another great exercise to get the 100 Days started: Linda suggests making a list of 10 reasons you want to lose weight and to copy this list and post it in places you'll notice it. I like the idea of having a lot of reasons – sometimes my goal of "to be healthier" is such a vague this-is-for-the-future-goal that it's difficult to draw strength from it (and I think with different days and moods, different goals work as motivation). And there's no need to do ten huge reasons . . . there can be small short-term goals that change as they are accomplished (for example: being capable of fitting into the next size lower for you, losing an inch from the waist or some people even like to tackle their weight loss in small cumulative goals ~ losing 5 lbs ten times can seem less daunting to some than thinking about losing 50 lbs).

So . . . what did you do before that you're doing differently now? And how about sharing a reason or two that you would put on your list to use as a motivator?

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Me? I used to eat to avoid feeling upset/angry/stressed/anything, but now I try to figure out what it is I am truly feeling (and no, it's usually not ‘hungry' and why.
And some of the motivators/reasons I want to lose weight are: I want my outside to match the way I feel on the inside, for the accomplishment (and pride that I could do it), and one of my short –term goals is dropping my BMI one more point.
All the best to everyone!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I used to go it alone, but now I pull strength and support from the group.

I used to make excuses like "this is the weight my body wants to be" tthe weight that i always have been, so trying to lose weight is just another way of saying i'm unhappy with myself. I used to be very black and white, perfectionist thinking regarding eating and exercise and NOW I'm different because I'm learning to live in the gray. It's kind of nice here!

This are biggies of mine.

Brenda Replied:

Before I just plain ate too much, didn't eat healthy foods, and didn't exercise much at all. So now I'm limiting my portions, making sure I eat healthy most of the time, and getting in some form of exercise on most days. I had already gotten to my goal weight last summer but a few pounds crept back on over the winter and are being very stubborn coming back off...I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe I'm the stubborn one. =] Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back into my size 6 pants and shorts and feeling comfortable in a swimsuit this summer. Great Job getting this thing rolling!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I use to eat without thinking and many helpings. Now I am learning portion control and healthy eating. I look at labels more and make better choices. I am still a work in progress when it comes to learning to eat healthier.

I know I have come a long way - was 296 now am currently 187.5 but that is 20 pounds gained from 2 years ago. This 100 days will help strenghten me and help me to my goal.

Today is the first day of the first 100 days of my new healthy lifestyle. I am doing it for me and my kids. I want to be there for them and feel good.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Before I used to give up after 2 or 3 days, now I'm in it for the long haul

I used to focus on what I couldn't eat, now I will focus on what I am CHOOSING to eat.

I used to eat when I was feeling something emotion, now I will find alternative activities to do instead of reaching for food

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

EXCELLENT review, Leilei!! Thanks! I think the biggest factor for me losing weight is waiting. Used to, if I wanted something I'd eat it...and eat however much I wanted. Now, I wait. It's amazing the difference that little break between the first desire and 30 minutes later makes. Another thing I do differently is grill or broil most all meats (and some veges!). I'm a true, southern cook...we grew up eating fried everything; and fatback in almost every pot on the stove. Now, not only do I NOT 'season' with fat and fry everything fry-able; I've come to PREFER the healthier version of almost everything. (I'm not going to deny I still love fried chicken and pork chops--but, I don't cook'em anymore.) My original motivator was disgust with the fact I had to buy new clothes every season. I finally said NO. Now, I think my biggest motivator is simply proving I can do this.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I used to be a smoker !! but replaced my ciggs with fast munchies ---and no exercise - hence the weight gain. I had joined different online weight loss programs but none kept my interest and pretty soon I slacked off after a couple of weeks - but here at SYD my attraction to this site is still strong - the support from the folks at this site is truly amazing and I do believe this time I can reach my goal - The things I do differently now: I CHOICE to be part of a weight loss team and PARTICIPATE ( SYD) - that alone keeps me motivated and on track everyday I know I am not alone here.
I have this beautiful little black dress, I wore in 2005 now if I can only zipp it up - I would be the happiest camper

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I used to drop out of a healthy lifestyle the second I received a positive compliment about my weight. Now I just accept the compliment and move on and don't let it have any bearing on my goals to lose weight.

A definite motivator on my list is fitting into my goal dress and just plain and simply being a smaller healthier version of myself.

Ladybug Replied:

Before I lost weight on a "plan"...nutrisystem, jenny craig, frozen meals, etc. This time I am losing weight on my own...no "plan". I can eat anything that is in my kitchen.....as long as I portion controlled. I'm not deprived. It is all my choice of what to eat. I'm now the only one in control of my eating....not some "plan". I want to stop shopping in the "women's" dept at the clothing store....which happened about a month ago!!! I want to get rid of the "pregnant" look of my stomach....almost there!! I have a beautiful Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater that I received as a gift and have never worn....I want to wear it!!!!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I have a lot more answers then what I'm posting but I don't want to bore you. Its going to be hard trying to figure out how to shorten my answers for the board. Even my shortened answers are long. You poor people! LOL

1- I used to binge but now I've found new and healthier ways to deal with life other then binging. I hit the trail and go for a fast paced walk/jog and at other times I'll ride the recumbent bike. If I just need to get away and don't have a lot of pent up feelings, then meditation or a good book works for me. I've also started using Kundalini Yoga to find my inner personal power.
2- I used to quit exercising but now I am more dedicated and WILL keep exercising. Not for weight loss but for my inner peace and health. I am doing this as a way to show myself that I am important, worthy and loved. I am nurturing myself by eating right and exercising. I no longer punish myself with food or anything else and that is a big hurdle for me to get over.
3- I used to feel helpless but now I know I am a powerful woman who makes all my own choices about food and exercise.
4- I used to feel desperate to lose weight and get thin but now I'm more at peace. I know I will lose weight. It might take a long time but that's okay. I like this peaceful feeling. It gives me one less emotional reason to turn to food. Funny how trying to lose weight becomes so stressful that I end up eating and gaining weight. The one thing that's supposed to help me lose weight has always caused me to gain it instead.
5- I finally quit hiding from myself and have gone into counseling to face the demons that have caused me to hate myself and eat.

I've lost all my past motivators for wanting to lose weight.
It has now become about nurturing myself the way I would if I had a daughter to take care of.
I wouldn't ask her to fit into a certain sized clothing. I would love her no matter what. I would feed her healthy foods because I love her. I would go for walks with her because I love her. I'm finally learning to do the same for me.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Wow Tami that's an excellent motivator. Its funny Ive used that same idea when it comes to relationships, but never thought to use it with food. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

You're welcome Bianca.
I cant take all the credit though. It took a very straight forward, scary counselor to open my eyes.

Karen Replied:

--I used to "diet" for a few months, lose weight and then gain it back. Now I am concentrating on eating more healthy, and although i may have lapses, I do not give up nor stop.
--I used to fill multiple plates at a buffet, but now I walk around the buffet carefully, searching for things I CHOOSE to eat, and doing my best to ignore the things I shouldn't eat.
--I used to not share my thoughts regarding food and emotional eating with anyone, and now I have my SYD buddies who support me and hopefully who I help.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Thanks Leilei for getting us started.

I used to get off track during that "TOM" but now I stay focused and don't allow myself to get upset if my weight goes up durint that time - it is only water weight anyway!

I used to think that I had to be totally on my plan at ALL times but now I allow myself to wander into the "grey area" ever now and then!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

My biggest change is learning to be gentle with myself and not expecting big changes in a couple of weeks then getting frustated and giving up when it doesn't happen. Not being so impatient and learning to 'live in the grey' actually is achieving better results than trying to be really tough with myself. And will work much better long-term.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I used to think I was immune to weight gain. I was the thin one in high school and never had to watch what I ate. I didn't realize until college when I stopped doing all my extra stuff (i swam, played tennis, was in marching band/colorguard) that the reason I could eat what ever I wanted because I was so active. I have realized that in order for me to lose and maintain my weight, I need to watch what I eat as well as exercise.

My #1 reason for losing weight is health. My father has high cholesterol and blood pressure. On his side of the family, heart issues or degenerative bone disesases dominate. My mother was adopted so we don't know any of her medical history. My cholesterol is high (and I'm only 28!!). I am trying to get control of my life and my health.

Another goal I have that is a long-term goal is I want to compete in a triathatlon.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Lyn delete your comment so I can send this back to the past. Thanks...Then I will come back and delete this.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.