JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Day 23 - Savoring

For Tracey -

-I've copied the article here. It's 11 p.m. and I wonder if we are all so busy or just giving up on this quest. I've had a horrible eat-everything-in-sight day. I don't think I "savored" anything.

Tomorrow I will do the exercises for today and for tomorrow's lessons.
--Bonnie

Another way you can increase awareness of your food is to use the concept of savoring. With this technique, you eat a very small amount at a time. But while you're eating, you pay total attention to how the food tastes and feels.

Learning to savor

To practice savoring, choose a piece of chocolate or other type of candy that you can eat in five or six tiny bites. One of the best options for this exercise is the Andes' brand three-layer, rectangular mint.

Slowly unwrap your candy. Smell it and notice its delicious aroma. When you're ready, bite off one of the four corners. Then one at a time, carefully bite off each of the other three. As you eat, notice the texture and how the candy feels in your mouth. If you're eating an Andes mint or a similar candy, pay special attention to the separate flavors of chocolate and mint.

Next, eat half of what's left, and then finish eating the rest of it. You should have gotten a total of six bites from your candy. As you eat the last bite, focus on the sensation of swallowing. Picture the bites actually moving down your throat and into your stomach. Let yourself feel the candy as well as taste it.

One is enough

Once you've finished this exercise, ask yourself if you want another mint. Usually, the answer is no. When you eat with this level of awareness, you receive an amazing amount of enjoyment and satisfaction from your food.

Also, because you truly notice and appreciate the taste of the food, you get what you want, your craving stops, and you realize that you don't need to eat any more.

Next time you eat one of your favorite foods such as a piece of cheesecake or something chocolate, savor it and notice every detail. Take tiny bites, about the size of a fourth of a teaspoon, and then pay total attention as you eat the food. With each bite, allow yourself to feel contented and satisfied.

You can use this savoring technique with any type of food. It works especially well with sweets and desserts, but it can also give you a new appreciation for foods such as pasta or green beans.

Assignment:

1) Choose something to savor, ideally an Andes mint or a small square chocolate candy. As you eat, pay attention to the smell, the taste, and the texture as well as the sensation of swallowing it.
2) In your notebook, describe what the candy tasted like as well as how it felt in your mouth.
3) When you've finished, decide if you need more food or if you're content with what you ate.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Bonnie, I am NOT giving up on this quest - this has been a very busy week at work but in order to get to day 24 - the one I am signed up to do - I had to do the 3 days I was behind on so now I am caught up (sort of).

I haven't done the exercise for this one because today is my Fast day so I won't be savouring anything but I will do it tomorrow.

My oldest son always savours his food - since he was really little he would always smell his food and comment on the colours the taste etc - he probably should be a food critic or a chef, LOL!

Tthanks for keeping us on track.

Karen Replied:

Nope, not giving up on this quest...just a hard week. Might move up the list of discussants every few days just as a reminder.

I have tomorrow (Sunday) and have it ready to go. I bet Christine will have hers up any time now for today.

Shari (CE) Replied:

I do savor my food most of the time. Now that I portion out what I eat, the portions look small so I try to enjoy every bite.
Yesterday I forgot to put my yogurt in my lunch bag. The cafeteria sells it so I was safe but they only had peach. I never buy peach because it just doesn't sound appealing to me. I tried it and I ate it slow, enjoying each bite and it was good. I tried something new and I enjoyed it =]

Gwen Replied:

I do like the idea of savouring food so that my craving is satisfied without overeating. I can make one square of 85% chocolate last for an hour and it feels like I have had far more. Increased enjoyment of what I do eat is a marvellous goal and I'm all for that. The goal is surely contentment and satisfaction without overeating. This has to be a plus on any diet. It also helps with the false notion that some food is bad. I can have one square of chocolate without undue guilt. Guilt would come into play if I had 6 squares or 12!

I should say a miracle happened a couple of days ago. I had a very small piece of orange and almond cake on my plate, I savoured two bites and found it to be absolutely delicious, the right texture, just moist with full flavour and I gave the rest away. What a triumph!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Last night I had a very small piece of rasberry cheesecake - I took small bites, it was really good, creamy. I ate it slowly and when I finished I didn't want more, I really enjoyed that one small piece and I was able to fit it into my plan too.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Gwen, that is super!!!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.