JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Scale wars

Cindy H.

Day 54 of 90 -- the Emotional Eater's Book of Inspiration by Debbie Danowski

Debbie says weighing yourself too often puts your emotions on the scale.
Ideally we should be able to separate our emotions from our body size but this takes time. One of the ways we can help overcome our emotional reliance on food is to make a decision to weigh ourselves only once a month.
Too often we let the scale decide if we are happy (showed a loss) or unhappy (gain or stayed the same). She recommends weighing only once a month.

Cindy H. Replied:

Well, I know Debbie is absolutely spot on with how we react to the scales but I do disagree with the idea of weighing only once a month. It might work for some people but for me right now it wouldn't. Maybe when I'm through the weight-loss portion of my journey and into maintenance I'll be able to do this and I will try. I think the key is to recognize that our bodies naturally gain and lose weight throughout the month and to start to understand your own bodies natural fluctuations. Some of us gain and lose 1 pound naturally over the course of a week, some people fluctuate by 5 pounds and it's NATURAL for their body to do so.

The hard part is to divorce your emotions from this natural gain/loss cycle and to keep eating healthy REGARDLESS of what the scale shows. This is the part that I think Debbie is addressing. If you show a gain it doesn't mean that you've screwed up or blown your diet and you'll never get there so you might as well quit. It just means that your scale shows a gain for that day. If you keep eating healthy and exercising you WILL get to your goals ... eventually.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Once a month weigh-ins would not work for me, at least not right now. I need the push, of knowing tomorrow morning I will face the scale and enter the data..and get to see green, blue or red. It helps me stick to my guns! Not even owning a scale is largley (pun intended) what got me out of my smaller jeans in the first place! But yes, we need to not let the numbers dictate how our day goes.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I agree with the above posts. Once a month would not work for me either. I usually weigh myself everyday. The great thing with this is that it allows me to adjust accordingly

Shari (CE) Replied:

I try not to let the scale control my mood LOL I like weighing daily, it keeps me on track.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I agree with Shari. I weigh in daily and am much happier doing it that way even if I go up a bit now and then.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

If the scale shows I lost...I am happy. If it shows I gained...I think.."Well...I deserve that", not usually a surprise, and I go on with the day. I don't beat myself up anymore...just do what I can to make things go the way I want them to.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.